No announcement yet.

The Framework Laptop Is Great For A Linux-Friendly, Upgradeable/Modular Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my most anticipated products of this year. Unfortunately it is not available in the EU yet.

Of course an all AMD Version would be the best. Dispite of this it is for sure the right direction. Hopefully this kind of products will be trending. AFAIK EU will strengthen the right to repair situation by requiring the Companies to provide spareparts up to 10 years.. Its already better than in the US but of course it can always be further improved
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 11 November 2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

You probably won't find any 17" AMD laptops; the options are very few for AMD dGPU. Search for AMD Advantage laptops. You basically are limited to 15.6/16.1 inch screen laptops, and some are only available in USA. If you are ok with going below 17" then the two good options are probably MSI Delta and HP Omen.

As a world leading gaming brand, MSI is the most trusted name in gaming and eSports. We stand by our principles of breakthroughs in design, and roll out the amazing gaming gear like motherboards, graphics cards, laptops and desktops.

https://www.hp.com/ca-en/shop/produc...pt=ABL&sel=NTB

The specs for both are good, but I'm not sure about the compatibility. I personally use an MSI GS66 (with nVidia) and I'm generally happy with the Linux compatibility so I'm guessing the MSI Delta would also be good. I couldn't buy the Delta because I live in Canada and it's not sold over here

There is also the stupid ROG Strix, if you are ok living without a webcam in 2021.
      I can buy the Delta just fine in my country, so it's not limited to the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        You probably won't find any 17" AMD laptops; the options are very few for AMD dGPU. Search for AMD Advantage laptops.
        Thanks for the advice also to Lycanthropist

As it seems, the only device fulfilling my requirements is indeed the MSI Alpha 17. But I don't like it either. Only 16 GiB of RAM does not seem very future proof, especially with a CPU that can run 16 threads simultaneously.

More important though, my current 9 year-old laptop is from MSI. It has a BIOS that disables the CPU's VT-x feature and MSI does not provide any solution/updates. The integrated webcam is not recognized by Linux. Some keys of the keyboard have gotten unreliable which is quite annoying when entering a long password to decrypt the hard drive at boot. The system fan always ran unevenly and now even it's bearing is broken and makes noise.

So long story short, my experience with MSI is that they deliver rather low quality and don't care about anything but Windows at all. I wonder whether Alpha 17 users are even able to control the keyboard's RGB light on Linux – probably not.

Comment

The EOMA68 reference is very out of place.

EOMA68 is an entirely open specification anybody can implement, and the hardware projects around it (which were never successful) were OSHW.

Framework has some modularity, but not enough for third parties to make a whole compatible laptop.

But sure, you can make a lot of USB3-interfaced gadgets. That's about what the spec allows.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            The EOMA68 reference is very out of place.

EOMA68 is an entirely open specification anybody can implement, and the hardware projects around it (which were never successful) were OSHW.

Framework has some modularity, but not enough for third parties to make a whole compatible laptop.

But sure, you can make a lot of USB3-interfaced gadgets. That's about what the spec allows.
            The MNT Reform looks like a middle ground, but the specs hurt a bit for a non-thin-client work laptop. And while it exists, there have been no recent updates on the page.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
              It's a total gimmick. Can't change shell, can't change board, everything custom.
              I read that you could change the motherboard, though they only have one on offer? And if the motherboard is replacable, then they could conceivably offer a larger shell.

I am a little concerned about the screen. That seems like something people would like to customize. Is that built-into the shell, or is there any chance to upgrade just that part?

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
              99.9% of people are never going to care.
              It's obviously not a laptop for the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
                Just for the record, it's USB4. They couldn't even call it Thunderbolt as it wasn't certified at that time. Either way, that's why it's Intel only for now, AMD doesn't provide any USB4-supporting hardware yet.

Comment

There is unchangeable feature which is saying - I will NEVER buy this laptop. Glossy screen. Freedom is good, but I do not want to become free but blind. And you can change a lot in this laptop which is great - but not a single chance to replace this eye-killing mirror with a normal laptop screen. Waiting so long for it to happen - and finally THIS?

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post
                    you can change a lot in this laptop which is great - but not a single chance to replace this eye-killing mirror with a normal laptop screen.
                    Yeah, they should've made the screen swappable, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by igxqrrl View Post
                      The reality is that by providing a couple USB-C, a couple USB-A, an SD reader, an HDMI port, and an ethernet port you've covered 98% of the use-cases
                      And you can remove "SD reader" from that list and STILL be covering 98% of the use cases.

SD cards are trash, and even laptops - which are the only things that have ever bothered with that asstarded form factor, performance, and data-loss rate - shouldn't be wasting money and real estate on slots for them. The 0.001% that have a Pi or whatever can use a $3 USB-A adaptor for it instead and still get the benefit of an improved laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X