No announcement yet.

The Framework Laptop Is Great For A Linux-Friendly, Upgradeable/Modular Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...to be honest I'm a bit baffled ..it's 2021 and in a Linux forum the advantages of modular computers have to be discussed. Apple and Co marketings strategies have been really done well. Even in the most nerdy corners their BS mindset is present.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
      Does anyone here know where to get a Linux compatible 17" laptop with Ryzen processor and a decent Radeon GPU (not just an integrated one)? Even Tuxedo only has Nvidia crap.
      A friend of mine has the MSI Alpha 17 AMD Advantage Edition and is quite happy with it. It is a 17" Laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, an AMD Radeon RX 6600M and 8 GB RAM (upgradable).

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        I don't know what sort of weird integration you're thinking of.
        Storage, graphics, lan, sound, usb - all those components originally were on ISA (then pci, then pci-e) bus. Storage was first to land on MB, then was ps/2 + usb, then was audio and finally IGD + LAN. It doesn't mean you cannot plug those components as discrete external modules of course, if you'd like to upgrade any of them.

Comment

How long ago was the last laptop with support for linux and bsd's? I can't understand why some linux people are not happy with many of the features offered. Even if you are not interested in this particular model it's good because it discusses the repairability not possible while being functional bullshit many manufacturers are pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by igxqrrl View Post
            But honestly the USB-C -> arbitrary port feels silly to me. The reality is that by providing a couple USB-C, a couple USB-A, an SD reader, an HDMI port, and an ethernet port you've covered 98% of the use-cases, and the other 2% probably don't mind a dongle. The most useful expansion card for me would be an ethernet port. Which they don't offer, and probably won't fit due to the card's form factor. So yeah. I'd much rather they just put the useful stuff as standard. Have one or two card slots for extra storage or what-not.
            A few examples of just my own use cases - what if I use DisplayPort instead of HDMI, what if I want to put in fullSD cards from my camera (laptops nowadays only provide microSD slot which is useless for me), what if I'd rather pay a $20 premium instead of having to use a goddamn dongle? Not even talking about needs changing over time or the nicety of being able to plug display from the other side in that one place I work at once a week.

The reality is that literally every other laptop in existence has fixed ports, it'd be nice to have a modular option available. I applaud Framework for reaching 10/10 iFixit repairability score while XPS-sized.

Originally posted by igxqrrl View Post
            I also don't like that the USB-A and USB-C expansions offer only a single port. It looks like they could manage a couple; maybe my size-o-meter is off.
            On the official forums I saw mentions that the physical limitations go beyond just fitting two ports into the given width - there are structural/mechanical requirements on the exchangable module reducing the available space; also, to have a USB-C/Thunderbolt with all bells and whistles (DP alt mode, PD, etc.), you need some circuitry behind the physical port. As the module spec is open, somebody proposed using lower-specced USB version (such as only fast USB with no power or display) to be able to fit two ports on one module.

EDIT: grammer

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Typo:

Let's upgrade the fan! Oh wait...
              It's a total gimmick. Can't change shell, can't change board, everything custom.
              99.9% of people are never going to care.
              The things that you care about, RAM, disk, mPCIe slot, changing battery, changing WLAN/BT etc are already there in most laptops.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                I understand the utility of having self replaceable/upgradeable parts. But I simply accept that most laptops only have at best 4 year lifespans. I have 5 or 6 of them today, some coming up on 8 years old and they still work just fine. I think it is admirable what these guys are doing, but I also see lots of eBay listings for their niche parts long after the company is kaput.
                Because you made it so in your head.
                I had my last laptop for 9 years, and it´s still in good condition. If I could replace the CPU, I might have kept it another 3-4 years.

Comment

I´m all for this. As for phones, the technological evolution is too linear to have the need to change many parts before at least 5 years. Except maybe for the rollable phone that will be disruptive. Basically, for phones it will be the camera and the battery. The latter will also be the first to need a refresh on a laptop, with the CPU and GPU following. Maybe the screen and eventually some connectivity.
                  It comes about 10 months late for me though, as I took the Tuxedo path.
                  Plus it´s Intel anyway. I´ve never bought Intel CPUs and don´t intend to start.
                  But if this can take on and become the norm. I´m all for it as we are disposing of devices with too little consideration for the waste and the replacement is a money pit compared to just upgrading one component.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

It's a total gimmick. Can't change shell, can't change board, everything custom.
                    99.9% of people are never going to care.
                    The things that you care about, RAM, disk, mPCIe slot, changing battery, changing WLAN/BT etc are already there in most laptops.
                    How is it a gimmick? You speak for 99.9% of people now? You must have some serious influence. What's your real name so I can follow you?

Just because you have no use for something, or are short-sighted that you can't see how something like this could actually work out for the niche group it is trying to serve, don't just auto-shit on it. No one is interested. Phoronix is filled with a smart group, don't fill them with unnecessary fluff.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
                      I like what they've done with the Framework laptop. There are two things at this point that would hold me back from purchasing it though.

1. AMD processor and graphics
                      2. High res/non glare display

I've fallen in love with My Lenovo Ideapad 16 Pro with it's Ryzen 5800H and 2560x1600(16:10) non glare display.
                      Same here. For my personal equipment it's AMD processors and graphics all the way. Especially the 3000 series and up APUs. They'll run a 4K desktop with emulated gaming just fine. I love my 4650G.

Comment

Working...
                      X