No announcement yet.

PinePhone Pro Announced As New Linux Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm sold on the specs, price is a bit higher than it's specs would imply but for a niche phone like this with so many features I like that normal phones don't have, it's still fair, if barely, a similar spec phone would go for around 300$ from another manufacturer but a similar spec phone also wouldn't have pogo pins, hardware switches, be repairable or support linux so an extra 100$ for all that I'm totally willing to pay.

People are complaining about the price but are you forgetting the price of the comparable Librem 5? 900$ for gods sake, purism has some screws loose, and they're raising it to 1200$... And it has weaker specs than the pinephone pro...

To me, this looks like it could be it, I mean 20% slower than the pinebook pro, that's completely acceptable performance imo. I'll probably take it when it's released. I have a comparably specced phone that cost me 300$, but this isn't about the damn specs, it's about getting out of google's shitty ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Lots of people. Come back to reality.
      Are those who use MMS in the US? Or others too?
      I haven't received an MMS in 8-9 years, and nobody around me use them.
      I'm really surprised here, in which use case is it better than the mentioned apps in the real non-dev pragmatic world (that doesn't care if it's open source)?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724
        I do. I know plenty of people who use MMS, because... it works. A phone that doesn't have this sounds silly.
        When people were still using them here, around 2010-2012, it was a mess to configure with your phone plan and it worked randomly. It might have matured after everyone moved on (at least in Europe).

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        SMS are still the second way of communication..
        MMs not so..
        Chat applications start to make its market presence, but its not a so important feature as SMS.
        Start? I barely have one person out of a hundred that sends me a SMS these days. 99% of my SMSes are to notify me of a voicemail, delivery status, internet login codes and such.
        Last edited by Mez'; 16 October 2021, 07:03 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 13 Pro. Incredible phone. Traded in my old iPhone 12, used a $250 gift card from Verizon, and only cost me $100 bucks to update. Winning? Or losing?

Privacy and security matters. That's why I stick with Apple until something changes. (Lookin at you Tim Cook).

My laptops/desktops will all run Linux for the foreeseable future. Mobile? iPhone.

edit: Way too sexy

Last edited by perpetually high; 16 October 2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
            Anyway, I'm now sorry I brought this up because it gives people something that doesn't matter to argue about. My point was that when I last used any of these linux phone operating systems, MMS was partially broken, which is something I do in fact need.
            Just as importantly, none of them support VoLTE, which they are working on, but hadn't gotten anywhere with yet. This is also something you're going to need to use a phone in the US, very soon.
            Sorry about that too.
            I just replaced my 4yo HTC, and my criteria were the camera quality (looking for top quality there), wireless charging (I'm sick of cables everywhere) and a huge battery. A bit different than yours. I went for the S21 Ultra.
            I can have an iPhone with carrier subscription (included in my salary package), but I never asked for it as I prefer to pay for my own phone and subscription than to deal with iOS (even for free, yes).
            I've checked the PinePhone evolution with Ubuntu Touch, but I don't think these can be your day-to-day yet (I use - and really use - many Android apps).
            Last edited by Mez'; 16 October 2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              When people were still using them here, around 2010-2012, it was a mess to configure with your phone plan and it worked randomly. It might have matured after everyone moved on (at least in Europe).

Start? I barely have one person out of a hundred that sends me a SMS these days. 99% of my SMSes are to notify me of a voicemail, delivery status, internet login codes and such.
              As far as I can tell, the only people really using SMS/MMS as a main form of communication (i.e. not 2FA) are the American's. I don't know whats going on there or why people are so reliant on SMS, but from what I know its the only developed country where the majority of people use SMS/MMS.

In Europe and Australia pretty much everyone uses Whatsapp/Telegram (Signal would be ideal but thats a seperate issue).

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                In Europe and Australia pretty much everyone uses Whatsapp/Telegram (Signal would be ideal but thats a seperate issue).
                I am likely outside the general AU market for these things, but I have never been asked for a whatsap/telegram contact, only ever email/mobile number. I have also not been asked to "check us out on facebook/instagram" so I think it's maybe my age or I look too much like a caveman.

As for the phone, I am very interested to see the new idea's that can be implemented by the increase in hardware spec. I am excited for the idea of a mobile linux PDA that I can also reject phone calls on.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

Who the hell still uses SMS in 2021?
                  I use SMS for almost all of my communications. And I'm 29, so relatively young compared to the older people you mentioned. And not sure if it matters, but I'm in a first-world country (Netherlands).

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

As far as I can tell, the only people really using SMS/MMS as a main form of communication (i.e. not 2FA) are the American's.

I'm a relatively young Dutch guy (i.e. European) and I use SMS as my main form of communication (not MMS though, since that's crazy expensive here). I don't have WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal and the likes. I do have Skype though, but mostly for video calling.

But I won't deny that a lot of people here do use WhatsApp and whatnot as their main communication.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I'm surprised to see that in your country SMS is still prevalent, because in mine nobody uses SMS anymore. Everyone, even companies and the government prefer WhatsApp for everything, to the point the "cellphone number" in nearly every small store has been replaced with a WhatsApp number.
                      Your government prefers WhatsApp for official communication? If you're part of the EU then it might be problematic since there are strict laws for handing sensitive information and adding Facebook to that sounds very dangerous if I understood your correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X