PinePhone Pro Announced As New Linux Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mangix View Post
    Sounds like better hardware than the librem 5.
    Any hardware is better than the Librem 5 lol.
    Last edited by Vistaus; 15 October 2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Those are all proprietary systems controlled by businesses. Not a great fit for an open source phone.
      I don't exactly trust Telegram, but it's open source, not proprietary. The rest I do agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        Who the hell still uses MMS in 2021?
        You can send anything you would include in a MMS via whatsapp, Telegram, Messenger and the likes. Even old people (often the last to switch) have moved on.
        Lots of people. Come back to reality.

Comment

I would, if my provider wouldn't charge me €0.99 per MMS. I do use SMS as my primary communication method, though (I have a unlimited SMS plan).
          Last edited by Vistaus; 15 October 2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
            I wish them luck but with out ether the Android or IOS apps it's a non-starter for me.
            You can install Android apps through Anbox or Waydroid.

Comment

You can send anything you would include in a MMS via whatsapp, Telegram, Messenger and the likes. Even old people (often the last to switch) have moved on.
              Every smartphone (with a working number) can use MMS. Not everyone has Telegram and/or WhatsApp and/or Messenger and/or Telegram and/or Viber and/or VK and/or WeChat and so forth... Those are pretty much regional.
              I get both unlimited SMS and MMS as do most people in my country, so it's used a lot still.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

You can install Android apps through Anbox or Waydroid.
                All your hair would turn white before you can setup Waydroid

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Lots of people. Come back to reality.
                  That is really a strange reality. Around here nobody uses MMS. Probably because they never were included in any flat rate.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                    if they are going for the rk3399, that SoC heats up a lot, and pushes a lot of power at full throttle..
                    I think a quad core allwinner [email protected] would be a better option,
                    Even tough that somebody has to develop a pcie driver for that SoC that doesn't suck(the same way it was developed for android..).
                    This is the specially binned RK3399S, underclocked to 1.5 GHz (A72):

Although both devices use a similar SoC, due to the thermal constraints imposed by the chassis, the PinePhone Pro is around 20% slower than a Pinebook Pro. The RK3399S chips used in the PinePhone Pro are binned and voltage locked for optimal performance with sustainable power and thermal limits. That said, the perceived performance of the two devices ought to be comparable due to the PinePhone Pro’s lower screen resolution and better optimization.

Comment

I have never heard of Ampak before. According to Linux-Sunxi it is just a single chip that combines a Broadcom wifi and bluetooth module. Has Broadcom hardware been playing well with FOSS drivers lately? My last Broadcom wifi chipset (something from the 43xx family) needed a proprietary driver to work well.

Comment

Working...
                      X