AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15 Is A Nicer Experience On Ubuntu 21.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Tpical linux user: "it's really awesome for Linux, everithing works fine except web cam, wifi, bluethooth, gpu acceleration (I don't need them), the battery life is 2 hours, but I usualy stay on AC so it's fine."
    It's sad to read such messages w/o any rationale (what concretely is awesome for Linux in this laptop?).

There are at least different laptop manufactures that works better on linux than this ASUS.
    For example: I have Acer, and I don't have any HW issues, at least webcam, bluetooth, wifi etc works fine.

Well, this laptop doesn't have a webcam. I believe the bluetooth issues come from the fact that the debian is outdated 🤷.

Comment

Originally posted by foxie View Post

Well, this laptop doesn't have a webcam. I believe the bluetooth issues come from the fact that the debian is outdated 🤷.
      Laptop doesn't have a webcam? Wow, haven't even considered that.

Comment

Originally posted by foxie View Post

Debian is usually outdated. But he is using Debian Sid which is bleeding edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Same question for you as well, if you mind:

Was your laptop running with "schedutil" or the "performance" CPU governor while gaming?
          That's using "ondemand"

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Did that work well? Official spec is at 32gb max.
            Yeah, I was a bit nervous, it was the crucial website that said that it could do 64GB so I figured it was wrong they'd have to accept the return

Comment

The other issue is if I restart the laptop (rather than a cold boot) the wireless doesn't initialise properly https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214557

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Laptop doesn't have a webcam? Wow, haven't even considered that.
                Yeah. In 2019 ASUS also had VivoBook S13 S330.

Comment

I have this laptop, the experience is great overall but :
                  Battery is really not good (I don't think the dedicated gpu is shutting down properly)
                  Display port output is really unstable, the gpu just crash randomly when connected to DP
                  asusctl is useful but wish it was integrated in the kernel

Comment

For any ASUS users here, make sure to install asusctl (https://gitlab.com/asus-linux/asusctl). Running the 2021 G14 myself and it's by far the best laptop I've ever owned. I have two keyboard shortcuts set in Gnome's settings app:

Fn+F5: `asusctl profile -n`
                    Fn+F4: `asusctl led-mode -n`

That way the buttons work just like they should in Windows. I run my fans in Silent for normal stuff, then set it to Turbo when gaming. I also ran `asusctl -c 90` to cap my battery charging at 90%, so my battery won't wear out as quickly. Even capped at 90%, I can still get 8+ hours of battery life doing light work.

Comment

I've recently got a hold of one of these laptops, as I found it on sale for a decent price, slapped some extra RAM into it.
                      It may be a 'gaming' laptop (silly concept in general) but that grunt translates well into running a development environment.
                      Perfect thing to take on the road and travel with for remote work, currently using Windows with it as I'm waiting for support to mature.

Does anyone genuinely rely upon the battery for a laptop for extended periods of time? (hours +)
                      I find I use laptop batteries mostly for transitional usage (having to unplug and move etc) + having a inbuilt UPS.

Comment

Working...
                      X