Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15 Is A Nicer Experience On Ubuntu 21.10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by RecursiveRose View Post
    I've recently got a hold of one of these laptops, as I found it on sale for a decent price, slapped some extra RAM into it.
    It may be a 'gaming' laptop (silly concept in general) but that grunt translates well into running a development environment.
    Perfect thing to take on the road and travel with for remote work, currently using Windows with it as I'm waiting for support to mature.

    Does anyone genuinely rely upon the battery for a laptop for extended periods of time? (hours +)
    I find I use laptop batteries mostly for transitional usage (having to unplug and move etc) + having a inbuilt UPS.
    If you run a very recent distro (e.g. Ubuntu 21.10 or anything rolling), you should have an excellent experience on Linux. Just make sure to install/set up `asusctl` (see previous post). I can get 8+ hours battery on my 2021 G14 when doing light tasks.

    Comment


    • #22
      Is anyone else having issues suspending the laptop when it's running on battery?

      The newest amdgpu work to automatically detect the components breaks things for me too - so avoid drm-next for now

      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1743

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Is anyone else having issues suspending the laptop when it's running on battery?

        The newest amdgpu work to automatically detect the components breaks things for me too - so avoid drm-next for now

        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1743
        I'm currently running kernel 5.14.11 and things seem stable on my 2021 G14. Before that I was on 5.13.12 as newer versions would panic on bootup.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

          If you run a very recent distro (e.g. Ubuntu 21.10 or anything rolling), you should have an excellent experience on Linux. Just make sure to install/set up `asusctl` (see previous post). I can get 8+ hours battery on my 2021 G14 when doing light tasks.
          I switch between a few distros, but don't use Debian derivatives, I utterly despise the packaging system and consider it malware.

          As others are noting in this thread, there's teething problems with support at the moment and that's fine, it's relatively new hardware, it'll settle down within a few months and I'll remove windows from my machine when it's ready.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

            I'm currently running kernel 5.14.11 and things seem stable on my 2021 G14. Before that I was on 5.13.12 as newer versions would panic on bootup.
            On battery power can you successfully suspend and resume your laptop? Can you try it a few times to be sure

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

              On battery power can you successfully suspend and resume your laptop? Can you try it a few times to be sure
              It's working well on my system though can vary a bit on other systems depending on e.g. the WiFi chipset and SSD model.

              Comment

              Working...
              X