X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikelpr
    replied
    Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

False. Samsung only allows bootloader unlock on devices sold in places where it is a legal requirement to do so, like in the EU. Absolutely no US devices are bootloader unlockable.

My guess is you are thinking of carrier unlocking, which is the process of enabling a device to join other carriers than the one it was sold attached to. This is a completely separate and totally unrelated thing.
    Samsung bootloaders can be unlocked in Mexico and it's not a requirement by law (only carrier unlocking is)
    also I don't think EU requires by law to unlock bootloaders as that would include the iPhone and obviously it isn't
    I think Samsung happens to not allow unlocking US bootloaders but does allow the rest of the world
    Last edited by mikelpr; 13 November 2021, 11:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• quaz0r
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    The image with the two black dudes in flowing white shirts in the creepy embrace is really off-putting... bleh.
    at least they arent pregnant. thats next.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    The image with the two black dudes in flowing white shirts in the creepy embrace is really off-putting... bleh.
    I was more off-put by the fact that that video looked like a random tech montage from a TV show than it appeared to be a tech release or a new feature preview. Cruddy techno and random tech blip transitions every three seconds with no context, no before and after, doesn't show me your vision, it only shows me that your AV team is good at doing seamless transitions. All they needed was to add two people tapping one message on one phone and it could have been a CSI hacking scene.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

False. Samsung only allows bootloader unlock on devices sold in places where it is a legal requirement to do so, like in the EU. Absolutely no US devices are bootloader unlockable.

My guess is you are thinking of carrier unlocking, which is the process of enabling a device to join other carriers than the one it was sold attached to. This is a completely separate and totally unrelated thing.
    He's right on the Motorola part. I can unlock my US bought one if I register it with Motorola. I bought it directly from Moto. The warranty on my G Power 2020 will be up in a few more months so I'll be unlocking the bootloader and flashing custom roms to keep it updated because I assume that Moto will stop supplying me updates around that time (they only promised two years of updates and that two year line is coming up soon).

If a person is from anywhere in the world not America, from a place with not-as-draconian right-to-repair laws, them getting that part wrong is excusable.

Oh, chalk up one more reason you're not free in the Land of the Free. Not even free enough to switch the OS on your phone.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    I wish that Google would just have a Git repository for Android instead of developers have to wait for a code drop.

Leave a comment:

• partcyborg
    replied
    Originally posted by mikelpr View Post

but you have to use a Windows-only tool for that and need to register a for a mi account and it blocks you from unlocking for a week the first time you try.

OTOH all samsung and oneplus phones are unlockable without shenanigans. so are motorolas fastboot unlockable but you do need to register on their unlock site and their US carrier exclusives can't

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbine View Post
    I'm looking forward to getting this.

Remember, Xiaomi phones are the only major brand with first class aftermarket support. All their phones have an official way to unlock the bootloader.
    Compared to Samsung, Xiaomi is garbage level, it forces you to have a SIM card and give them the phone number, plus all the identifiable serial numbers of the phone.
    I really don't recommend it to anyone !

Leave a comment:

• mikelpr
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Remember, Xiaomi phones are the only major brand with first class aftermarket support. All their phones have an official way to unlock the bootloader.
    but you have to use a Windows-only tool for that and need to register a for a mi account and it blocks you from unlocking for a week the first time you try.

OTOH all samsung and oneplus phones are unlockable without shenanigans. so are motorolas fastboot unlockable but you do need to register on their unlock site and their US carrier exclusives can't

Leave a comment:

• Turbine
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X