Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 4.2 For Continuing To Improve This Linux-Based Smartphone OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by obri View Post
    What I found is disappointing. I need official Android store support, because I am kinda forced to. Banking Apps to authorize transactions for example...
    I would also pay 100€ for sailfish, if it would sandbox android with official store support....
    I think Aurora store installs apps from the Google Play Store.

When it is about Google Play addon, there is MicroG which aims to be an opensource replacement.

For banking apps, some work, some don't. You might try searching or asking for users who are with the same bank as you.

And if you phrase it like you need official Google Play support, there is really only one option. It's like asking official Microsoft Windows Support on Slackware Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Wow that Ambiance white-on-black theme is ugly too!
      You might be ugly yourself

If you cannot even explain what you find goodlooking or ugly (and it's all subjective) you seem to have nothing to bring to this discussion.

What is more important is how it works. In my experience Sailfish serves the user, and I can notice that vision in the software and workflow. But hey, you might be a modern designer who only cares about the looks and who builds websites with grey-on-grey text.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
        I am an enthusiast(ic) user of Sailfish OS, but a significant near-term challenge is VoLTE. The OS doesn't support VoLTE calling yet, probably because oFono doesn't, and as many service providers either are turning off their 3G networks or plan to do so in the near future, it could be curtains for Sailfish OS.
        VoLTE is a challenge for alternative mobile OSes. The good news is, UBPorts raised money to support it, and they will obviously share their code. I know SFOS is already sharing code with them, so that could be the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          uid313 could you post screenshots of what you believe to be a good locking phone UI?
          Both Android and iOS are much prettier. All of the manufactures custom themed versions of Android are prettier.

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Yet the mainstream OS's people use are way worse.
          No, they're prettier. Every single one of them. Even the worst of them.

Comment

Both Android and iOS are much prettier. All of the manufactures custom themed versions of Android are prettier.

No, they're prettier. Every single one of them. Even the worst of them.
            Wow, that is so much detailed information you gave us. There is so much substance I cannot handle it anymore.

For your information, 'pretty' is subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by Polleke View Post
              Wow, that is so much detailed information you gave us. There is so much substance I cannot handle it anymore.

For your information, 'pretty' is subjective.
              Yeah, sure pretty is subjective, but take 10 people from the street and ask them about how Jolla looks and they will all say it looks terrible.
              Sure everyone has different taste and taste is subjective and all that, but Jolla looks awful!

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post

Is it possible to use the android store for android apps, or can you just use free variants?
                I need Apps like Spotify, Signal and unfortunality WhatsApp for some purposes...
                All of the apps you mention appear to be available in the Aptoide app store (Jolla's preferred Android app store), no problem. But if by "the android store" you actually mean Google Play, then using it on SailfishOS is against Google's Terms of Service. Though if you really need to, you can look in the F-Store app store for the "Aurora Store" or "Yalp Store" apps, these allow you to use some trickery to access the Google Play store if you really want to.

Comment

Yeah, sure pretty is subjective, but take 10 people from the street and ask them about how Jolla looks and they will all say it looks terrible.
                  Sure everyone has different taste and taste is subjective and all that, but Jolla looks awful!
                  I did just that. 10/10 said it looks great.

Comment

Wow... No one asked if they already open sourced it?!

Ahah

Comment

I don't use Android or iOS so could you please post some screenshots that show what you believe to be a prettier UI.

Comment

Working...
                      X