Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jolla Releases Sailfish OS 4.2 For Continuing To Improve This Linux-Based Smartphone OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Wow this thing looks ugly!
    Then just use another Ambience.
    All native apps follow the Ambience colors. I think there is already a Sunny Red or firey Red. I prefer a white-on-black Ambience like here:

By the way, they seem to be profitable, as a recent press release has announced. It used to be B2B sales made them more money then B2C for Sailfish, but it seems the Android App Support makes them now money in automotive.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
      I am an enthusiast(ic) user of Sailfish OS, ....
      Is it possible to use the android store for android apps, or can you just use free variants?
      I need Apps like Spotify, Signal and unfortunality WhatsApp for some purposes...

Comment

It is still ugly, it was ugly, and continues to be ugly. They also sell it for $49 and available for those who would like to downgrade their Sony mobile devices from beautiful Android to ugly Sailfish OS.
        Downgrade from beautiful spyware to ugly privacy?
        I can't believe you early birded the thread again just to say it is ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post

agree
          it has this gloomy design since version 1.0
          I think they need some fresh(sunny) look!
          The colour scheme can be configured by the user. One can make several so called "ambiences", sets of background image, colour scheme, ringtone, ringone volume, etc.
          With a free app from the store, one can also automatically set the current ambience based on time/location/wlan/whatnot.

Why the person making those press material shots decided to go with such dark colours is another question...

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post

Is it possible to use the android store for android apps, or can you just use free variants?
            I need Apps like Spotify, Signal and unfortunality WhatsApp for some purposes...
            Sorry, I don't use the Android compatibility, just what is available for Sailfish OS. And I don't use social media (see username).

A bit of searching around the Internet leads me to think that the Google Play store is not supported, but other Android App stores are. Looks like you can run the Android Spotify Client, or use one written for Sailfish OS, don't know about Signal, although there is a Sailfish OS client (Whisperfish), and WhatsApp looks like it is the Android Client downloaded from a non-Google Play app store. As ever, as it is not mainstream, the apps are likely to be a bit more quirky or have missing functionality. Don't expect perfection and you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Polleke View Post
              Then just use another Ambience.
              All native apps follow the Ambience colors. I think there is already a Sunny Red or firey Red. I prefer a white-on-black Ambience like here:

By the way, they seem to be profitable, as a recent press release has announced. It used to be B2B sales made them more money then B2C for Sailfish, but it seems the Android App Support makes them now money in automotive.
              Wow that Ambiance white-on-black theme is ugly too!

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Downgrade from beautiful spyware to ugly privacy?
              I can't believe you early birded the thread again just to say it is ugly.
              Yeah, I like privacy and I don't like spyware, but this Jolla is soo ugly, I rather have Android or even iPhone, or even a Windows phone, just anything else than this ugly Jolla!

Comment

Yeah, I like privacy and I don't like spyware, but this Jolla is soo ugly, I rather have Android or even iPhone, or even a Windows phone, just anything else than this ugly Jolla!
                So why not postmarketOS, GrapheneOS or even modded ungoogled Lineage?

Comment

uid313 could you post screenshots of what you believe to be a good locking phone UI?

Comment

Wow this thing looks ugly!
                    Yet the mainstream OS's people use are way worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post

Sorry, I don't use the Android compatibility, just what is available for Sailfish OS. And I don't use social media (see username).

A bit of searching around the Internet leads me to think that the Google Play store is not supported, but other Android App stores are. Looks like you can run the Android Spotify Client, or use one written for Sailfish OS, don't know about Signal, although there is a Sailfish OS client (Whisperfish), and WhatsApp looks like it is the Android Client downloaded from a non-Google Play app store. As ever, as it is not mainstream, the apps are likely to be a bit more quirky or have missing functionality. Don't expect perfection and you won't be disappointed.
                      What I found is disappointing. I need official Android store support, because I am kinda forced to. Banking Apps to authorize transactions for example...
                      I would also pay 100€ for sailfish, if it would sandbox android with official store support....

Comment

Working...
                      X