Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Increasing Importance Of ACPI Platform Profiles With Today's Throttle-Happy Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post

Yep, just a bit of cleanup and I'll fire it off to the original author of ideapad-laptop.c.
    Kudos, then! Even tho Lenovo should be doing this (they advertise Linux support, so you paid for it), it's nice to see people scratching their itches and then sharing their solutions

Comment

I have a feeling that as more Linux users start using the latest Lenovos that the ideapad-laptop.c and thinkpad_acpi will get patched so we can all benefit. If you want I can show you the patch.
      This is awesome news, though I don't expect these patches to make it anytime soon. Can you please share the patches, I will try a custom compile to test this and report back. I'm more interested in the powersaving features, that's why I commented in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post

This is awesome news, though I don't expect these patches to make it anytime soon. Can you please share the patches, I will try a custom compile to test this and report back. I'm more interested in the powersaving features, that's why I commented in the first place
        I just posted (an hour ago) the patch to the linux and platforms mailing lists. You can find it there. Yes, please test it out. I've created a whitelist function which will allow you to specify a system that is supported at dytc_version 4. If you apply the patch you will be able to look in your system logs for DYTC Product, that will be the key that you can add to the whitelist function. Please let me know how that works for you. If it works please let me know the DYTC Product key and I should be able to add that to the patch before it gets authorized for inclusion.

Comment

Hans de Goede ... "Junior Member" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            This means that Linux Oses are unable to manage throttling correctly?
            Never had, never will.

And installing additional software to accomplish it does not qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              never will.
              Why not?

Comment

I just posted (an hour ago) the patch to the linux and platforms mailing lists. You can find it there. Yes, please test it out. I've created a whitelist function which will allow you to specify a system that is supported at dytc_version 4. If you apply the patch you will be able to look in your system logs for DYTC Product, that will be the key that you can add to the whitelist function. Please let me know how that works for you. If it works please let me know the DYTC Product key and I should be able to add that to the patch before it gets authorized for inclusion.
                Compiled successfully but I can't find DYTC message anywhere in dmesg. Is it supposed to show somewhere else, or any other reason why the message wouldn't appear? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post

Compiled successfully but I can't find DYTC message anywhere in dmesg. Is it supposed to show somewhere else, or any other reason why the message wouldn't appear? Thx
                  It won't show in dmesg. If you have systemd:

journalctl -a | grep DYTC
                  Sep 19 03:32:02 comer.internal kernel: ideapad_acpi VPC2004:00: DYTC Vendor: LENOVO
                  Sep 19 03:32:02 comer.internal kernel: ideapad_acpi VPC2004:00: DYTC Product: 82L5

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Yeah...

Wait, a laptop with 4 RAM slots?! I have only seen up to 2 on every laptop...

Good news: they still exist.
                    All of my personal laptops (dating back to the Dell Inspiron 8000) have had four DIMM slots. I've always bought used workstation-type ones.

The Galaxy S8 isn't a current phone. I only bought my current phone (Note 9) a year ago, so I'm planning to keep it going for quite a while longer, but I'd really like a bigger screen (not just long, wide too; even phablets today have very narrow screens). But this is a bit off topic.

Comment

It won't show in dmesg. If you have systemd:

journalctl -a | grep DYTC
                      Sep 19 03:32:02 comer.internal kernel: ideapad_acpi VPC2004:00: DYTC Vendor: LENOVO
                      Sep 19 03:32:02 comer.internal kernel: ideapad_acpi VPC2004:00: DYTC Product: 82L5
                      Dang, still no ouput. is it possible lenovo slim7 pro doesn't even trigger your code?

Comment

Working...
                      X