• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Lech

• Lech
    replied
    Originally posted by khnazile View Post

I don't think so, they care only about shiny new products. If you're a dedicated vega user, switch to rdna or polaris, dependin on what you can afford. If you're integrated/laptop user... Well, you will have to suffer until rdna2 APUs become available
    Well, problem is that Vega 56 should be powerful enough for my needs and if i can run cyberpunk on ultra in ~50 fps on 1080p, why should i change the gpu ? I'll sooner or later upgrade to some raytracing card, but current offer is not good enough in my book, and it will be acceptable in a generation or two.
    The gpu hang is annoying, but that's it. What is worse, it works perfectly fine on windows, so it's not a hardware problem.

Leave a comment:

• khnazile
    Phoronix Member

• khnazile
    replied
    Originally posted by Lech View Post
    Good, maybe they will switch Vega power management crashes in the future too ?
    I don't think so, they care only about shiny new products. If you're a dedicated vega user, switch to rdna or polaris, dependin on what you can afford. If you're integrated/laptop user... Well, you will have to suffer until rdna2 APUs become available

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan

• Veerappan
    replied
    I find this article really timely. I hadn't checked my RSS feeds this afternoon yet, and spent an hour or so tonight checking to see if I could diagnose why my power LED, camera/microphone shutoff LEDs, and my brightness controls weren't working after suspend. I wasn't sure if there was a keyboard mapping issue post-resume, or if there was an ACPI issue with the way that resume was being handled.

Good to know that I can stop looking, and can just rebuild a kernel with a patch to some of the same code I already had open in an editor...

Originally posted by brent View Post
    Is Linux capable of using s0ix for runtime powersaving on AMD hardware nowadays? I remember it resulted in significant improvements on Intel.
    The 5.14 kernel is the first version that supported s0ix on the Renoir platform (e.g, my Ryzen 4700U-based HP Envy x360 13") out of the box. I've been watching the patches/activity around this significant interest for about a year now (since I got the laptop and reported the bug that ended up with this getting implemented/fixed).

Most of the activity around reporting/implementing this was done here: HP Envy x360 w/ 4700U failing to suspend (#1230) · Issues · drm / amd · GitLab

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by gfunk View Post
    On my old X1 carbon 5th gen, I never noticed any drain overnight, it would have been less than 5%
    Fair play. It doesn't appear uniform anyway. The laptop I'm referring to explicitly in the post above was an Acer, a "full fat" Core 2 Duo 11.6" job (thick as hell and with a horribly low screen resolution but had an amazing battery life for the time).

I'll put my LG Gram to sleep tonight, rather than shutting it down and see how much if any drain there is, because now I'm curious.

Leave a comment:

• gfunk
    Phoronix Member

• gfunk
    replied
    On my old X1 carbon 5th gen, I never noticed any drain overnight, it would have been less than 5%

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    I have a T14 running Pop! OS, if i put the laptop to sleep (S3) overnight it looses 10-15% battery.
    Seems to effect heaps of AMD laptops, theres an 80 page thread of frustrated people here that just got locked after them saying its sort of fixed.. Valid points though that its not just on Lenovo to resolve

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-L...5037674?page=1
    I'll admit it's been a while since I've cared about sleep/suspend/resume etc, but the last time I actually put a laptop to sleep a loss of 10-15% overnight wasn't unusual... hibernate was OK, but sleep would drain around that over night. This was for Windows; at the time I didn't have Linux on there as I'm not a fan of dual booting off the same disk.

Leave a comment:

• gfunk
    Phoronix Member

• gfunk
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Are you sure that's S3?
    I'm not 100% sure but in the BIOS you can choose sleep state -> windows or linux.. which I believe is switching between s3 and s0ix. I dont think it matters though in that thread there is drain in both modes

Leave a comment:

• polarathene

• polarathene
    replied
    I have a T14 running Pop! OS, if i put the laptop to sleep (S3) overnight it looses 10-15% battery.
    Are you sure that's S3? It's not uncommon for S3 to be replaced with s0ix/s2idle now which is more fussy about properly entering power efficient states. Lenovo on some of it's premium products has in the past allowed Linux users to go into BIOS and change to S3 mode instead, but I think Windows/Microsoft has been pushing the "Modern Sleep" (s0ix) mode and apparently that isn't compatible with S3, it's either or thing at BIOS level or something :S

I have same issue with a 2019Q3 Acer with Intel IIRC, but the display model uses an old eDP version preventing it from doing efficient low power states causing similar battery drains so I just hibernate it.

Leave a comment:

• gfunk
    Phoronix Member

• gfunk
    replied
    Seems to effect heaps of AMD laptops, theres an 80 page thread of frustrated people here that just got locked after them saying its sort of fixed.. Valid points though that its not just on Lenovo to resolve

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-L...5037674?page=1

Leave a comment:

• stargeizer

• stargeizer
    replied
    The problem is that docks more of the time, are tied to propietary circuitry that usually comes with their own binaries for windows. There are some that can be used with ACPI methods, but since ACPI is something that Satan can be very proud of, anything is possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X