X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by risbac View Post
    So far NBR 9.04 RC is quite impressive on the Mini9

-Sound is working
    -wireless seems ok (not wireless network here, so i will try it at home later to confirm, but the 3d party driver is said to be installed, so to me it's working)
    -screen is recognized, keyboard shortcuts work
    -the keyboard shortcut to shutdown the wireless receiver is not working, but that should not be hard to check how Dell did it on their 8.04 version
    -suspending is working
    -webcam is working
    -bluetooth is working
    -boot on Ext4 is faster than the Dell version. Complete boot (press button to a working desktop) in 40s, without any modification, it's at least 5s faster than Dell version. And it can be improved (Dell does not show any Grub screen, while I have a 3s pause here). Good job, even if I need to check if it would be as fast with the Cherokee webserver that we install on our Mini9. But for an "untuned" system, it's better than what I expected
    -system is fast and responsive. 140Mb used at boot, <2Gb on the disk, no swap.
    -Compiz is working fine is you are using the regular desktop and not the UNR with the customized menu. Effects are smooth.

That's my first comments so far. I'm taking the laptop home to test it more and see if the PPTP VPN pbs we had with 8.10 are solved. Apparently not, but it's maybe our fault. Ask any question if you want.
    Great, thanks a bunch for all the information. I have the NBR 9.04 that I was going to install, this sounds encouraging.
    Last edited by themiddaysun; 16 April 2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Just opened my mini 9! I have not installed the Netbook Remix yet, I wanted to get the out of box experience.

Im not impressed.

1. Fisrt boot, no X. Had to log in as root (no password) and restart masnually.
      2. Wireless woulod not connect automatically without another reboot.

3. As stated in this article, the Yahoo toolbar and Yahoo plugins set by default on Firefox.

4. Dells very obtrusive "launcher"

I have since turned off those items and now have a clean gnome like desktop and clean default looking firefox. Maybe look into Netbook remix after I give this a spin for a few days.

Comment

I did more tests. The NBR is really doing fine:

-wireless is working without any problem

-I installed the Cherokee webserver with PHP, and it's still booting faster than the Dell 8.04. In fact, it's booting faster than before... I'm under 40s now for a complete boot.

-the keyboard shortcut to switch display is not working on my external screen. The configuration utility let me switch to the screen though. No big deal.

Comment

Im creating the NBR bootable flash now. Going to go with the install. I dont need the external monitor function that u state is not working via the hot key, so I should be fine. thanks for your sharing of info.

Comment

Originally posted by themiddaysun View Post
            Im creating the NBR bootable flash now. Going to go with the install. I dont need the external monitor function that u state is not working via the hot key, so I should be fine. thanks for your sharing of info.
            Remember that default install use EXT3. EXT4 is not 100% stable on the RC (see the info on the ubuntu website), but it's only a problem with very big files. So if you want to try it, remember to edit the partition configuration and change the file system format. The boot speed was significantly faster with EXT4 when I compared it to EXT3.

Comment

Decided to go ahead and install the full jaunty beta after playing with the remix some. I just dont like the `launchers` in the netbook versions. There is something about a normal gnome install. clean I guess.

Anyway, everything worked without any configuration at all. so far, me likes my mini 9 with jaunty!

Comment

Working...
              X