Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All,

I'm looking for a much larger screen than 9".

Is there such a critter out there?

I run Linux, of course.

JJMacey
    Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I really admire dell efforts to promote linux on some computers, too bad its on USA only

Comment

It's available in several countries in Europe too.

And it's a nice machine. We have maybe 6 or 7 of them in the company, and it's a great performance/price value. 8Gb SSD with Ubuntu, working fast, booting fast, no noise, good battery life (almost 5 hours) with a great weight (1kg). And we chose it because they didn't choose an exotic linux distro with some locks. Sure, the LPIA version of Ubuntu is only for Hardy, and all packages are not available. But we customized it with a Cherokee web server and couples of other things, it was really easy and without hacking stuffs.

And the 10" version is said to have Ubuntu soon. However I have some concerns about the battery, currently it's only a 3 cells, the 6 cells should arrive soon, but the weight will also increase. Dell will also announce a professional 10" soon, I'm curious to see this model. Until then, we are sticking with this 9".

Comment

On Dells German Website I can only find the Mini 9 and Mini 12 (Interesting: it's called to have an GMA500 in the tech details?!) with Ubuntu - no big Notebooks, no Desktops any more. Am I only to stupid to find them?

Comment

Im wondering if I can easily put the Netbook remix on my Mini 9. It is currently waiting for me at home, was just delivered today!

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              Hi All,

I'm looking for a much larger screen than 9".

Is there such a critter out there?

I run Linux, of course.

JJMacey
              Phoenix, Arizona
              System76 computers empower the world's curious and capable makers of tomorrow

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Not with Atom, though.

Comment

Originally posted by themiddaysun View Post
                Im wondering if I can easily put the Netbook remix on my Mini 9. It is currently waiting for me at home, was just delivered today!
                I think i tried it on the Mini9, it was working fine, except maybe for sound. But a simple fix is available. However, I'm not sure if the laptop will boot as fast. I will try the NBR 9.04 RC soon on my test machine, if you want I can post my comments here.

Comment

Originally posted by risbac View Post
                  I think i tried it on the Mini9, it was working fine, except maybe for sound. But a simple fix is available. However, I'm not sure if the laptop will boot as fast. I will try the NBR 9.04 RC soon on my test machine, if you want I can post my comments here.
                  Yes, that would be killer.

Comment

Originally posted by themiddaysun View Post
                    Yes, that would be killer.
                    Formatting now... I'm replacing the Dell LPIA 8.04 by the newest x86 NBR 9.04. I know it's only a RC, but that seems to make more sense than to test a 8.10.

The live USB test was really good: sound working out of the box, webcam working, video fine (Compiz working but conflicting with the NBR menu, should be fine if you are using the usual desktop view), speed was really comfortable, wireless ok, screen light shortcuts were working, sound shortcuts too. I'm installing on an ext4 partition now, without swap. I will give you my comments in a couple of hours after some longer tests.

Comment

So far NBR 9.04 RC is quite impressive on the Mini9

-Sound is working
                      -wireless seems ok (not wireless network here, so i will try it at home later to confirm, but the 3d party driver is said to be installed, so to me it's working)
                      -screen is recognized, keyboard shortcuts work
                      -the keyboard shortcut to shutdown the wireless receiver is not working, but that should not be hard to check how Dell did it on their 8.04 version
                      -suspending is working
                      -webcam is working
                      -bluetooth is working
                      -boot on Ext4 is faster than the Dell version. Complete boot (press button to a working desktop) in 40s, without any modification, it's at least 5s faster than Dell version. And it can be improved (Dell does not show any Grub screen, while I have a 3s pause here). Good job, even if I need to check if it would be as fast with the Cherokee webserver that we install on our Mini9. But for an "untuned" system, it's better than what I expected
                      -system is fast and responsive. 140Mb used at boot, <2Gb on the disk, no swap.
                      -Compiz is working fine is you are using the regular desktop and not the UNR with the customized menu. Effects are smooth.

That's my first comments so far. I'm taking the laptop home to test it more and see if the PPTP VPN pbs we had with 8.10 are solved. Apparently not, but it's maybe our fault. Ask any question if you want.

Comment

Working...
                      X