Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 vs. Windows 10 Trade Blows On The AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Svyatko
    replied
    Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
    Testing without installing ROCm and recompiling zstd for openCL support is much more representative of the experience of running Ubuntu on this laptop than doing so would be.
    With ROCm system may run slower.
    Unforeseen consequences...

Leave a comment:

• Svyatko
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

If so then this is not a fair comparison and it should be done again.
    AMD provides no OpenCL support for tested hardware. And ILL it has no interest in bringing it in future.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Righteous
    replied
    Forgot to mention Linux has been a method of self preservation. Moved my wife to Linux years ago because of constant issue with viruses and adware with windows. Same issue with Dad. Moved him to a chromebook and the issues disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by RedEyed View Post
    I traded it only, when I found that linux wastes my time mostly because of lack of good software and infrastructure (sure, I'm saying this for my case only, not in general).
    Also, WSL2 really made my decision.
    Some of it would have been as well your selection of hardware. I have laptops that were bought as Linux only devices and they serous hate windows installed bare metal. I also I have few so called made for windows laptops that when windows 10 is taken off and Linux is put on the battery life extends by 3 hours(yes this is a dell laptop). This of course again is the drivers are bad under windows and good under Linux. Reverse happens as well.

The horrible reality here is one of the laptops I have here windows 10 in a kvm VM inside Linux is in fact faster than Windows 10 on bare metal on that laptop. Yes the problem is the drivers and the bad power management it causes windows to behave like this. Yes this is a laptop sold as a Windows laptop.

Lack of good infrastructure is quite common with windows as well.

RedEyed depending on the hardware you have really does alter what OS you should have as bare metal.

Leave a comment:

• RedEyed
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Yeah, I've really not touched Windows since the Win7 days. Every once in a while I'll have to accomplish a "windoze only" something so I sit down at my son win10 gaming station. I find myself saying. "hmm, thats cool" "wow, thats neat". But trade it for my up 24/7 linux workstation. Na.
    I traded it only, when I found that linux wastes my time mostly because of lack of good software and infrastructure (sure, I'm saying this for my case only, not in general).
    Also, WSL2 really made my decision.

Leave a comment:

• RedEyed
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Ding Ding Ding!

I assume Michael tested the Ubuntu default, which is 1.4.8, and he almost certainly downloaded the current 1.5.0 version for the Windows test.

Not only does that change that multithreading default you found, it has massive performance improvements to compression levels 5-12. The notes show it's easy to get > 100% gains.
    Then I don't see any purpose of such comparisons: linux vs windows or linux vs linux if libraries and programs have different versions.
    Maybe, the only purpose, is to test the "default" configurations, but in that case, Windows doesn't have zstd in the repository, or what?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied

I don't know which version of zstd was used, but before v1.5.0 multithreading build option was not by default for linux
    Release Zstandard v1.5.0 ยท facebook/zstd (github.com)
    Ding Ding Ding!

I assume Michael tested the Ubuntu default, which is 1.4.8, and he almost certainly downloaded the current 1.5.0 version for the Windows test.

Not only does that change that multithreading default you found, it has massive performance improvements to compression levels 5-12. The notes show it's easy to get > 100% gains.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Righteous
    replied

After being a linux user, linux developer and windows hater more than 10 years I decided to give windows 10 a try.
    Nowadays (for me) it works blazingly well (mb awful windows experience in the past was due to slow hdd, low RAM and awful C++ development tools)
    I switched all my work and user workflow to Windows. I don't want to say this, but I have no issue with windows 10, I don't need to constantly administrate my linux desktops, I just do what I need w/o configuring OS.
    Currently I'm a Python guy, so I didn't notice any difference when switched from linux to windows in terms of working experience.
    Sure, I love linux and use it for servers, but as for user - I chose windows 10, everything that I need already works very well, everybody support windows and I can finally buy a lot of good software.
    What I really miss in windows is autocompletion in the terminal.

Yeah, I've really not touched Windows since the Win7 days. Every once in a while I'll have to accomplish a "windoze only" something so I sit down at my son win10 gaming station. I find myself saying. "hmm, thats cool" "wow, thats neat". But trade it for my up 24/7 linux workstation. Na.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    All my and others bluetooth headsets (I have experience with Sennheiser and Sony) work on Android phone w/o additional software, same on Windows, I don't need to install anyting to be able to use my BT headset with mic.
    https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads...-my-pc.425395/ This is a works for me answer who does not understand the problem. Since you windows machine is setup for Sennheiser/Sony If you try to pair a samsung headset it not going to work. Yes if paired a samsung headset first the sony and sennheiser are not going to work. I could give other brand combinations that result in screwed. Not all android phones accept sennheiser and Sony headsets either. Yes windows automatically installing drivers for you does hide that you have possible locked self in.

I have a raspberry pi 4 setup to emulate the 60 codec combinations for bluetooth headsets. Basically have the little pi pretend to be a stack of different headsets this is cheaper and more compact than having all them to test with. Fun point is you can cause windows 10 to instant crash by connecting bluetooth headsets in the right order. It worse its a boot loop. Linux may not support bluetooth HSP/HFP well but at least you cannot end up in a never end boot loop that requires a reinstall to fix.

There is also a bigger problem with the bluetooth standard in some of your cheaper phones are bluetooth 5 only. That right don't accept bluetooth 4 devices because bluetooth 5 does not mandate backwards compatibility support. Sennheiser don't in fact make any bluetooth 5 headsets. I would be guessing you sony are not 5 either.

What you say, about drivers: I didn't have such situations despite my short period of using win10 (about 4 month), sure, I don't reject that such problems could exist.
    In my opinion, the rule is simple: more users -> more budget -> more effort to keep/raise userbase .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPZkfYWp9uo
    What Gamigo does to MMO explains why "more users -> more budget -> more effort to keep/raise userbase" is not always true. You have missed greed as a critical feature.

There is a simple one with bluetooth headsets. I sell you a phone I want to sell you the accessories I make. If I can make a minor alteration in by bluetooth drivers that cause my competitors headsets not to work well and sometimes not all this can result in me being able to see more accessories to the people who bought my phone right. This is a game of vendor locking leading to profit. This basically the Gamigo pay to win store model expect its your bluetooth headset.

The reality is "bluetooth HSP/HFP" headsets is really a dumpster fire of problems that comes really clear once you have testing setup up and running checking compatibility. It should not be if everyone had added their features to the standard instead of doing their own stupidity out of a objective of greed.

I can tell you that one car vendor that was considering allowing the entertainment system to support bluetooth headset after seeing the mess decided not to. Yes this was to allow the people in car to listen to music to be less distracting to the driver. I really do wish pulseaudio, pipewire and bluez the best of luck making a solution that deals with this mess correctly.

The fact that Bluetooth has a standard and it is this far stuffed up just show how down right crappy companies can be.

Leave a comment:

• RedEyed
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Most of my machines are desktops. I gave up on having Nvidia graphics a few years back and that make my life so many times better under Linux. Either Intel IGPU or amd dGPU and everything been better.

Linux on laptops random laptops has been a nightmare. I have seen a laptop that is design for Linux do the exact other way when a person installed windows. In fact worse went from 8 hours under Linux to 1 hour under windows. Its absolutely critical in a laptop that power management in fact works or you are in for a very bad time. Yes it can be stupid with like CPU or GPU can be downclocked yet its pull more power than when it running at it rated clock speed. Yes there are laptops design purely for Linux out there. There are also laptops designed purely for windows and there are limit group that are design for both.

The reality is fighting with hardware that is not design for Linux does result in filling in a lot more issues. This does not make Windows the better choice over all. Just means if you have laptop design for windows with power management only for windows putting Linux on it will give you bad time. Nvidia graphics with Linux more often than not gives you a bad time. Intel and AMD for graphics behaviour is better with Linux. Horrible part here is AMD graphics drivers under windows are absolutely horrible quite often. This is a big problem the selection of parts to built a computer ideal for Linux absolutely don't match the selection of parts to make a computer ideal for Windows there is a overlap but its not as big as most would presume.

https://maurom.com/blog/2021/03/20/s...tu-and-debian/
    bluetooth HSP/HFP support<< you need to take with a serous grain of salt. The bluetooth standard for HSP/HFP is absolutely horrible 8khz audio that makes land line sound good. The reality is Linux has support what is in the bluetooth standard for HSP/HFP for a long time. The add on codecs the stuff that make HSP/HFP sound good are not part of the bluetooth standard so not part of the free patent grant of bluetooth.

There are a lot of cases where the issue with Linux is that the house is not in order in that area. People do have the problem with some brand of bluetooth headsets not working with some brands of phones or if you have different drivers installed in windows results in one head set not working and the other one is (yes this can be really annoying where A headset works with A drivers installed but not with B and B works with B drivers installed but not with A so the result is you cannot use both at once). This is because the bluetooth HSP/HFP is a disaster zone of vendor fragmentation with case of not forward/backward compatible codecs and these codecs have not been added to the standard for bluetooth. Please note bluetooth HSP/HFP is not the only area like this.

Yes it the 21 century and we still have not worked out how use a standard process properly and make properly compatible hardware.
    All my and others bluetooth headsets (I have experience with Sennheiser and Sony) work on Android phone w/o additional software, same on Windows, I don't need to install anyting to be able to use my BT headset with mic.

What you say, about drivers: I didn't have such situations despite my short period of using win10 (about 4 month), sure, I don't reject that such problems could exist.
    In my opinion, the rule is simple: more users -> more budget -> more effort to keep/raise userbase .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X