Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 vs. Windows 10 Trade Blows On The AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Ding Ding Ding!

I assume Michael tested the Ubuntu default, which is 1.4.8, and he almost certainly downloaded the current 1.5.0 version for the Windows test.

Not only does that change that multithreading default you found, it has massive performance improvements to compression levels 5-12. The notes show it's easy to get > 100% gains.
    Then I don't see any purpose of such comparisons: linux vs windows or linux vs linux if libraries and programs have different versions.
    Maybe, the only purpose, is to test the "default" configurations, but in that case, Windows doesn't have zstd in the repository, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post

Yeah, I've really not touched Windows since the Win7 days. Every once in a while I'll have to accomplish a "windoze only" something so I sit down at my son win10 gaming station. I find myself saying. "hmm, thats cool" "wow, thats neat". But trade it for my up 24/7 linux workstation. Na.
      I traded it only, when I found that linux wastes my time mostly because of lack of good software and infrastructure (sure, I'm saying this for my case only, not in general).
      Also, WSL2 really made my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post
        I traded it only, when I found that linux wastes my time mostly because of lack of good software and infrastructure (sure, I'm saying this for my case only, not in general).
        Also, WSL2 really made my decision.
        Some of it would have been as well your selection of hardware. I have laptops that were bought as Linux only devices and they serous hate windows installed bare metal. I also I have few so called made for windows laptops that when windows 10 is taken off and Linux is put on the battery life extends by 3 hours(yes this is a dell laptop). This of course again is the drivers are bad under windows and good under Linux. Reverse happens as well.

The horrible reality here is one of the laptops I have here windows 10 in a kvm VM inside Linux is in fact faster than Windows 10 on bare metal on that laptop. Yes the problem is the drivers and the bad power management it causes windows to behave like this. Yes this is a laptop sold as a Windows laptop.

Lack of good infrastructure is quite common with windows as well.

RedEyed depending on the hardware you have really does alter what OS you should have as bare metal.

Comment

Forgot to mention Linux has been a method of self preservation. Moved my wife to Linux years ago because of constant issue with viruses and adware with windows. Same issue with Dad. Moved him to a chromebook and the issues disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

If so then this is not a fair comparison and it should be done again.
            AMD provides no OpenCL support for tested hardware. And ILL it has no interest in bringing it in future.

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
              Testing without installing ROCm and recompiling zstd for openCL support is much more representative of the experience of running Ubuntu on this laptop than doing so would be.
              With ROCm system may run slower.
              Unforeseen consequences...

Comment

Working...
              X