AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I respectfully disagree. A piece of electrical tape is way cheaper than a new webcam. And if necessity arrives, it makes the webcam readily available, instead of buying one.

I see your point about obsolescence, but lets be frank, unless you are broadcasting for a living, image quality will not improve to the point were the camera will became useless before the machine itself.
    On the privacy side, a piece of electrical tape doesn't work with the microphone and you have to trust the software that it really is off. Anyone who has used Android or Amazon devices knows you can't trust that part of the software.

While I was thinking about Twitch streamers and bullshit like that, this is the age of remote video streaming where picture quality is becoming more and more important each day for business transactions and legal proceedings.

Comment

I've been saving up to get this laptop. Really happy it's working out nicely, even if 5.14. But speaking of AMD Advantage, how far along is their SmartShift thing to upstream?

Comment

Hi Michael thanks a bunch for that review.

Since my current laptop just died, I have to consider buying a laptop soon enough.
        I do not want any kind of laptop with things like soldered RAM/SSD anymore though, or glued battery.

Could you please tell us how easy it is on that laptop to access those components, and whether they are easily removable / replacable (battery, RAM, SSD, HDD)?

Comment

Originally posted by Citan View Post
          Could you please tell us how easy it is on that laptop to access those components, and whether they are easily removable / replacable (battery, RAM, SSD, HDD)?
          You can check Linus Tech Tips and other YouTube reviewers' videos on this, some of their videos open and show the internals. AFAIR, RAM and SSD was accessible just by opening the bottom panel, I don't remember about the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by oxwivi View Post

You can check Linus Tech Tips and other YouTube reviewers' videos on this, some of their videos open and show the internals. AFAIR, RAM and SSD was accessible just by opening the bottom panel, I don't remember about the battery.
            Thanks for the info and pointers

Comment

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

That's not entirely true. You can install Hardware Enablement kernels (which I believe is a supported configuration, for desktop at least), or the mainline kernel compiled for Ubuntu (which probably isn't). These may not come out on the schedule you want, but at the end of the day, that's up to the manufacturers not getting support in.
              Updating the kernel for better hardware should be the DEFAULT AUTOMATIC option. Do you expect a complete new user coming from WIndows to know that he has to install "Hardware Enablement kernels"? He will install Ubuntu, see that half of his hardware isn't working at all, other half not like it shouldn't work and go straight back to Windows in 99% of the cases.

Comment

Apologies for the post bump.

I just ordered one of these, should arrive Saturday (I hope). Basically it came down to price; I set myself a limit for a new laptop and all reasonable nVidia options were about 25% more expensive (and came with slightly inferior CPUs, although the difference between a 5800H and a 5900HX won't be so great, I think) and, well, it's been years since I had an AMD GPU and I just want to see what their latest is like.

If AMD ever get ROCm to support the 6800M, I might do some GPU-accelerated coding work, but I guess that will be wishful thinking. Sadly.

It will, unfortunately, be running Windows (best I'll manage for Linux is WSL2 or a VM) exclusively because I've given up with dual-boot configurations and I need a couple of applications which require Windows... but we'll see how it goes. If I'm feeling particularly adventurous, I might try installing Xen or something and running everything as a VM with passthrough for the 6800M.

There have apparently been a couple of firmware updates since this article (including one for the keyboard, although it only references fixing issues with the lighting) so I'd be curious if they snuck in fix for the odd keyboard behaviour in Linux as well. If I remember, I'll give it a test.

Must remember to buy another power brick for it - I ain't lugging that monster 280W job to and from work every day!

Comment

I have been working with the Asus Rog Advantage for the last 3 weeks as my personal computer and have logged about 120 hours of usage about 50% Gaming.

I am currently running Ubuntu 21.10 and have also briefly installed 22.04.

I have upgraded the SDD to Crucial's P5 memory to expand the storage and was pleasantly surprised to see two M.2 slots, so now I have 1.5 TB of disk space.
                  I had originally cloned the 512GB drive using clonezilla booting off of the Ubuntu 21.10 live distribution.
                  For others the only thing you may want to do set the boot order of the M.2 drives by using the F1 key when booting to access the BIOS systems.
                  I have retained Windows 10 on one partition and disabled secure boot for now.

I am grateful to the Arch wiki in help resolving some game issues.

Impression
                  I saw one review stating the Laptop screen was dim, since I use the Laptop indoors the Laptop screen is fine and the colors when playing games are quite vivid.
                  I very much like the feel of the keyboard.
                  The sound is good, certainly far far better than the System 76 Oryx Pro and & Gazelle that I briefly used this year.
                  My only complaint is the mouse tracking/clicking seems to be off and the touch pad left click stuck once.
                  I have tried the 5.16 & 5.15 kernels but am currently sticking with the 5.13 kernel since I am a cautious/lazy/inexperienced with working around the libssl3 dependency issue.

I am very pleased so far and can't wait to upgrade to 22.04 when its released.

-Rob

Comment

Update I have updated the memory to 64 mb and have about 450 Hrs logged. There have been 2 system reboots while gaming that I attribute to GPU crashes. I continue to feel the build is very solid.

Comment

Working...
                    X