No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX / ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first, I was surprised that Core i7 1185G7 is actually faster than 1065G7 in web browser and light gaming benchmarks. Wasn't it the other way around when Michael did "Intel Core i7 1185G7 Linux Performance" testing?

After comparing both articles, I realized that 1185G7 is indeed faster than 1065G7, but slower than 1165G7. 1165G7 scores were not included this time in "AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX" coverage. Mystery solved! :-D

Comment

Michael So Linux 5.13 needs some patching, i don't see that as a problem since with linux you update or patch the kernel for newer support.
      The temp patch was small.
      https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...13a07260eb696d
      For the network driver i think it's this patch that would solve the suspend issue but since i don't have the hardware i can't check which patches are needed.
      https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...ef9fab967a1684
      I don't see those two very small patches as a big problem if you can compile a kernel yourself.
      Last edited by Nille_kungen; 25 July 2021, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

IMHO, that's a good thing. No built-in camera that'll maybe perform bad, go obsolete in a few years, or to make a person paranoid and put tape over. If a person needs a web cam then they can buy one and power it from the USB port.
        I respectfully disagree. A piece of electrical tape is way cheaper than a new webcam. And if necessity arrives, it makes the webcam readily available, instead of buying one.

I see your point about obsolescence, but lets be frank, unless you are broadcasting for a living, image quality will not improve to the point were the camera will became useless before the machine itself.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I see your point about obsolescence, but lets be frank, unless you are broadcasting for a living, image quality will not improve to the point were the camera will became useless before the machine itself.
          I don't think I've seen a laptop over the last few years whose built-in webcam was better than 720p and whose quality was above mediocre at best.

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post

I don't think I've seen a laptop over the last few years whose built-in webcam was better than 720p and whose quality was above mediocre at best.
            You have to look outside Apple products...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

You have to look outside Apple products...
              I've never owned an apple product. Name me a Windows laptop with a better than 720p webcam.

Lenovo Thinkpad Nano X1, $2000, 720p
              Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, $1900, 720p
              ALL MSI laptops, 720p
              HP Laptop EliteBook 830 G7, $1800, 720p

I can't find a single laptop with a webcam better than 720p, not have I seen one for years

Comment

Originally posted by alcalde View Post

I've never owned an apple product. Name me a Windows laptop with a better than 720p webcam.

Lenovo Thinkpad Nano X1, $2000, 720p
                Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, $1900, 720p
                ALL MSI laptops, 720p
                HP Laptop EliteBook 830 G7, $1800, 720p

I can't find a single laptop with a webcam better than 720p, not have I seen one for years

You asked for it, I don't want to hear complains about the manufacturer, model or price :-)

Comment

I realize that you're working with limited resources, but it would be nice to see comparisons to something other than 15w-class chips. Despite being in a laptop, this isn't exactly in the same class of device as 1185G or 4700u. Even a couple 65w desktop CPUs would make the comparison better (well, so long as the desktop chips are running at 65w, at least - not like i7 10700 with default BIOS settings)

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

Bad Ubuntu support, not Linux. Ubuntu is always really bad choice for cutting edge hardware recently released, they don't care about functional kernel/firmware updates, only provide security fixes from the moment when a new Ubuntu version is released.
                    That's not entirely true. You can install Hardware Enablement kernels (which I believe is a supported configuration, for desktop at least), or the mainline kernel compiled for Ubuntu (which probably isn't). These may not come out on the schedule you want, but at the end of the day, that's up to the manufacturers not getting support in.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925

Inconvenient. I get the privacy concerns, but inbuilt is way more convenient.
                      To me it is no more inconvenient than having to carry around a BT or USB mouse because I don't like touch pads. If I already have an accessory bag, it's just another accessory for the bag.

Comment

Working...
                      X