ASUS Laptop dGPU Toggling, eGPU Handling, Panel Overdrive Patches For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS Laptop dGPU Toggling, eGPU Handling, Panel Overdrive Patches For Linux

Phoronix: ASUS Laptop dGPU Toggling, eGPU Handling, Panel Overdrive Patches For Linux

A set of Linux kernel patches to the asus-wmi driver are pending that improve the support for newer ASUS gaming laptops...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally, I'll be able to enable panel overdrive on my G14.

Comment

Luke Jones is the guy behind https://asus-linux.org/ and he does pretty much all Asus improvements by himself without backing of Asus.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        Luke Jones is the guy behind https://asus-linux.org/ and he does pretty much all Asus improvements by himself without backing of Asus.
        This pretty much is the only reason why the 'Year of Desktop Linux' is being held back. The manufacturer's themselves just don't give a crap yet. Weird as Asus was one of the first ones to try to sell something with Linux (the old original Asus Eee PC).

Shame that the developers can't at least get some sort of 'in' with the manufacturers they help sell laptops to Linux users...

Comment

nice maybe my asus tuf improve after one year without news

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            nice maybe my asus tuf improve after one year without news
            If you're using an Asus gaming laptop, make sure you're using asusctl (https://gitlab.com/asus-linux/asusctl)

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
              Weird as Asus was one of the first ones to try to sell something with Linux (the old original Asus Eee PC).
              That was only to force Microsoft to give the 10 times cheaper version of Windows for these super cheap PCs. Also that Linux was a crap, I had to install Ubuntu (which worked perfectly and offered 100x more). PS: This version of Windows exists till today and is the reason why cheap devices are capped in HW specs, e.g. 4 GB RAM (Microsoft Teams itself takes 1.5 GB when opened, 700 MB when iminimized in an icon tray).
              Last edited by Ladis; 05 July 2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

That was only to force Microsoft to give the 10 times cheaper version of Windows for these super cheap PCs. Also that Linux was a crap, I had to install Ubuntu (which worked perfectly and offered 100x more). PS: This version of Windows exists till today and is the reason why cheap devices are capped in HW specs, e.g. 4 GB RAM (Microsoft Teams itself takes 1.5 GB when opened, 700 MB when iminimized in an icon tray).
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Fairly certain Teams is the worse piece of software I've seen in my ~40 years of using software.

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Can't even lie convincingly.

Last edited by Sonadow; 06 July 2021, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Can't even lie convincingly.

https://ibb.co/98Bzppc
                    I mean after some usage, not login screen (and in Windows, which has probably the worst memory management from all OSes). Also the numbers in Task Manager are not true. The best for commoners is quiting the app and looking on system memory usage difference (ever tried to sum used memory from all processes and guessing where are the missing gigabytes?).

Comment

Working...
                    X