Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.14 Works Around Compatibility With Some Digital Camera exFAT File-Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• puleglot
    replied
    It looks like MacOS is also affected by the same camera firmware issue:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqOB_XGBVE

Leave a comment:

• puleglot
    replied
    Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

The few times I've encountered Fuji products they were always out of spec somewhere on the product (broken USB Mass Storage usually) and they never fixed the problem(s). Avoid Fuji products if you value your sanity and compatibility.
    There are only 2 quirks for Fujifilm cameras in the linux usb mass storage driver. And both models are very old. X-series cameras supports only PTP mode AFAIK.

Leave a comment:

• puleglot
    replied
    From the mailing list:
    Thanks, I came across this while debugging why directories produced on my Fuji X-T4 were truncated at 2^12 dentries.
    Huh! That's interesting. Older cameras (X-Trans III based and older) stores only 1000 photos per folder.
    Last edited by puleglot; 06 July 2021, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied

The few times I've encountered Fuji products they were always out of spec somewhere on the product (broken USB Mass Storage usually) and they never fixed the problem(s). Avoid Fuji products if you value your sanity and compatibility.
    The Fuji low end cameras are crap, but the X series is pretty solid design overall with long term commitment to firmware updates, from what I've heard.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied

That would be exFAT? It's not restricted by 32bit file system and file size limits, and it's usable on all major OSes.
    Engl is not my native tongue... basically that is what I have meant with this post.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Uh. No ZFS won't meet that requirement for a "simple" pan OS file system. There's nothing simple about OpenZFS. "Simple" means plug it in, copy things over, unplug it. Plug it in the other device, copy from it, unplug it. That's not what ZFS is intended for. ZFS is an enterprise grade filesystem, volume management system designed for data integrity using multi-storage device fail over. That's NOT simple and its management isn't simple! It's exactly what exFAT is intended for between disparate devices.

Why do people even think ZFS is going to take over the world, somehow? Have you even USED it? Good luck getting that beast to work in your dSLR.
    What's so hard about automating "zpool import -f $pool_on_inserted_disk"? From there it acts like any other file system to copy things over and go from device to device.

FWIW, I like the idea of being able to zfs send/recv sd cards.

I've used OpenZFS going on seven years. It only gets better and better.

I wonder if a new ZFS lite profile, a profile that that has a lot enterprise features disabled, would work in a DSLR? Like the GRUB profile limited even further. Like you said, ZFS has a lot of features. It also allows disabling those features and a systemd unit could be setup to only allow the DSLR to mount zpools with the zfs-lite profile set.

Leave a comment:

• linuxgeex
    replied
    Uh. No ZFS won't meet that requirement for a "simple" pan OS file system.
    I don't know about that, lol. It is simply a waste of time for 99.999% of people. ;-)

Why do people even think ZFS is going to take over the world, somehow? Have you even USED it? Good luck getting that beast to work in your dSLR.
    OP wanted something that simply works everywhere. Good luck getting it working on IoT devices, and thanks for quadrupling the cost of those IoT devices with the size of RAM and PSRAM required to mount a ZFS volume to hold one JPEG lol.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

In a year or two OpenZFS will likely fit that requirement. It's already on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, illumos, and macOS with Windows support up and coming (already there via DIY WSL2 builds).

Does anyone know of a (feature-filled) file system that's actively being worked on for multiple operating systems? AFAICT it's basically exFAT, NTFS, and OpenZFS with honorable mentions for ext2 and BTRFS.
    Uh. No ZFS won't meet that requirement for a "simple" pan OS file system. There's nothing simple about OpenZFS. "Simple" means plug it in, copy things over, unplug it. Plug it in the other device, copy from it, unplug it. That's not what ZFS is intended for. ZFS is an enterprise grade filesystem, volume management system designed for data integrity using multi-storage device fail over. That's NOT simple and its management isn't simple! It's exactly what exFAT is intended for between disparate devices.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

That would be exFAT? It's not restricted by 32bit file system and file size limits, and it's usable on all major OSes.
    In a year or two OpenZFS will likely fit that requirement. It's already on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, illumos, and macOS with Windows support up and coming (already there via DIY WSL2 builds).

Does anyone know of a (feature-filled) file system that's actively being worked on for multiple operating systems? AFAICT it's basically exFAT, NTFS, and OpenZFS with honorable mentions for ext2 and BTRFS.

Leave a comment:

• TheLexMachine
    replied
    Is this issue with cards formatted in camera and with the camera connected via USB like a storage medium, cards formatted in the camera accessed in a card reader, or cards formatted in a PC and read from the camera or a card reader?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X