Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation To Take Over Moblin Project

Phoronix: Linux Foundation To Take Over Moblin Project

In a rather interesting move, the Linux Foundation will now be the company behind Moblin. The Moblin project was started by Intel back in 2007 and has been used to push Linux onto their Atom processors, but it now appears they are handing the duties off to the Linux Foundation. This Linux distribution designed for Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) and netbooks will now be supported by the Linux Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can we see it on ION if there are no ion devices out there? Also you can't really tweak the nvidia driver to go faster or to get KMS...

P.s.: STILL WAITING FOR A ION-BASED PC.

Comment

Originally posted by '[Knuckles
      P.s.: STILL WAITING FOR A ION-BASED PC.
      Patience

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Hopefully the Acer ION PC will hit the US shortly... Soon as I find an ION system for $250 USD or less I will pick it up for Linux benchmarking.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I guess Intel just realised that Moblin wont reach a stable/polished state before the Atom will be superseded by a faster cpu (AMD Yukon/Neo or possibly sth from Intel themselves) which makes it obsolete, so they no longer have any intererst in it.

Comment

how would a faster processor make moblin obselete? it is based off cutting edge Linux tech.... sure everything is obsolete (maybe you are refering to the atom...) once it hits the street but moblin is about as bleeding edge as it gets

i mean what distro is compiled with sse3 these days other than a custom gentoo?

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              i mean what distro is compiled with sse3 these days other than a custom gentoo?
              SSE3 is mostly useless on any cpu other then a p4 with it's long pipeline.

Comment

And now Intel says that Moblin will be able to boot in 2 seconds!!

Comment

Working...
                X