Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Oh no, a hurt Sailfish OS user.
    Oh no, it's someone with autism going "REEE!!! STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!1"

Seriously thou, just grow up. The fact that other people like what you don't like is just plain immature and stupid. It's a nice OS with gesture-based navigation still well ahead of the competition (only devices that come even close are the X-series iPhones) with a high degree of open source components (unlike iOS) and a business model that isn't based on data harvesting (unlike Android) so the manufacturer respects your privacy.

On topic: Nice to see that they're finally moving to Aarch64 as I predicted with the end of support for the original Jolla phone from 7,5 years ago. However I am disappointed that they chose to limit Aarch64 binaries to the latest device they've added official support for even thou every other ARM-based device they support uses an AArch64 SoC. Even more so when I asked them to clarify this I got one of those downright insulting PR-department answers that didn't even answer the question.

Comment

Originally posted by rawr View Post

The creepy thing is that it would be easy for them to allow you to control your data/options but they choose to not let you in deceiving ways with pseudo-options.
      Like why does the location provider has to ask if you would like to use Google acceleration every single time? Or why does it need a module that in principle could reprogram your phone at any point in time without your consent?

The biggest problem here are the Google Play services though that include most of these shenanigans.
      ​​​​​

Have you looked into LineageOS with microG?

​​​​​​I haven't tested it yet but it should be enough to be able to use a phone for most important features

I am currently locked in by google because you cannot do a full phone backup without root apart from google cloud backup or if you are lucky your oem has added a backup provider that allows you to safe everything in a format you can use.
      I may have luck with the LGbackupprovider.

There a few more things that I find despicable.

​​​​​
      On the backup part -- fortunately Google Sync and regular sdcard backups are good enough for my needs. All I really need are basic comms and music...and the occasional astronomy app and some emulators because my phone doubles as a GameBoy

On that note: 8bitdo controllers kick ass. I just bought a Pro 2 and I've had it for a week now. Very premium and nice feel to the sticks, triggers, and buttons. My only issue is the software on Windows doesn't work...crashes my PC to blue screen. Software works fine on Android so I configure my controller there. Since I have to configure it for Linux on the Android app as well it isn't that big of a deal. BSOD aside, I highly recommend the Pro 2. It's literally a PSX pad combined with an SNES pad with rear paddles added. Great feel and familiarity. Well, another issue is I'd like to set the paddles to be able to use any input key like a keyboard key or mouse click instead of just a copy of existing controller keys.

I feel like most of Android's privacy settings are designed to make me feel good and block Google's competition. That Google is still mining my data while trying to make it harder for other companies to use Android as a data mining platform so that the more they "make Android private" the more valuable their data becomes.

I used to compile CyangenMod, ParanoidAndroid, AOKP, and more so, yeah, I've looked into LineageOS with microG. I kind of got overwhelmed and tired with it all and got out of that scene around Android 6 or 7. I wish Android 4.4 LTS existed. FWIW, my tablet runs LineageOS with full gapps.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Oh no, it's someone with autism going "REEE!!! STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!1"

Seriously thou, just grow up. The fact that other people like what you don't like is just plain immature and stupid. It's a nice OS with gesture-based navigation still well ahead of the competition (only devices that come even close are the X-series iPhones) with a high degree of open source components (unlike iOS) and a business model that isn't based on data harvesting (unlike Android) so the manufacturer respects your privacy.

On topic: Nice to see that they're finally moving to Aarch64 as I predicted with the end of support for the original Jolla phone from 7,5 years ago. However I am disappointed that they chose to limit Aarch64 binaries to the latest device they've added official support for even thou every other ARM-based device they support uses an AArch64 SoC. Even more so when I asked them to clarify this I got one of those downright insulting PR-department answers that didn't even answer the question.
        I don't care for its Interface. Gesture focused UIs are a horrible sickness in my opinion, though I expect you to care as much as I care for your arguments for this UI design.

If there is anything to criticize then the company behind that multiple times called their proprietary (https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FbfD5dlCt...255B1%255D.jpg) garbage OS open source or floss and did grow themself cult like followers that still strongly pretends that Sailfish OS is FLOSS and not a OS against that even Android looks like a OSS heaven.

Comment

I don't care for its Interface. Gesture focused UIs are a horrible sickness in my opinion, though I expect you to care as much as I care for your arguments for this UI design.

If there is anything to criticize then the company behind that multiple times called their proprietary (https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FbfD5dlCt...255B1%255D.jpg) garbage OS open source or floss and did grow themself cult like followers that still strongly pretends that Sailfish OS is FLOSS and not a OS against that even Android looks like a OSS heaven.
          ROFL. We finally agree on something UI related. I'm so used to arguing with you about the close button on GNOME it isn't funny

Comment

You're obviously free to have your opinions, but to go all autistic about this and get upset over people liking something you don't is simply childish. Grow up.

Also, Jolla's made the OS is as OSS as it can be ATM. The UI codebase is partially owned by their owners and those owners are opposed to Jolla making it fully open source. However what Jolla can make fully open source, is fully open source. Your understanding of Android is also at least 6 years out of date as a large portion of new features and work in general has been moved to the non-OSS "Play Services" only distributed as binary blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

I like it because it lacks a lot of crap I despise and I have a GNU/Linux under the hood. SSH, rsync ... anyone?
              Trying to build proprietary apps based on a GNU/Linux framework is asking for trouble. The big problem with GNU/Linux desktop is that there is no API/ABI stability. Very soon Sailfish will have to deal with the fact that QT5 is end of life and they will have to focus on rewriting their apps for QT6. This is a complete waste of time for a small company. Even open source desktop such as Debian take a long time making a release because of the DLL hell that is the GNU/Linux desktop.

Google made the right decision to use only the Linux kernel and have control and stability over everything that runs in user space.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                Seriously thou, just grow up.
                Why do you even argue with this troll?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                  Google made the right decision to use only the Linux kernel and have control and stability over everything that runs in user space.
                  That is exactly why I prefer a GNU/Linux stack - I and my peers are in control not Google, MS or Apple. If I buy a product I want to feel like I'm the owner not the "user".

The Debian release cadence argument isn't very solid and refuted by a lot of other distributions that have a faster cadence.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                    Maybe Google watched this video
                    Linus highlights several pain points with regards to desktop Linux.From DebConf 14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmHRSeA2c80:00 Application distribution i...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      That's probably because it doesn't look all that bad and the majority of people could are less about Open and Proprietary. Because I prefer a PC interface for most tasks I could care less about phone app stores as long as the camera and music player work well. I just need communications, cat pictures, and driving music out of my phone and it looks like their system does that well enough. I wish their OS supported my Moto G Power (2020) because I'd consider it.

Frankly, I'm just tired of Android. I feel like I'm walking around with a black box data recorder actively giving out my data to the highest bidder. Messed up thing is I don't mind telemetry and turn it on on my Linux and Windows installs and also send bug reports when I get a popup about it. I don't mind helping them figure out what is and isn't used or what's messing up so they know what to target for bugs and features.

The way my phone, Google, and more do advertising creeps me the fuck out. Very damn creepy when someone talks about something and you start getting ads for it on the Roku and Phone...and I keep all that "OK Google" voice command bullshit turned off. Google eavesdropping is not cool at all. Just the other day my Mom was talking about "Gone With The Wind" so of course her Roku TV (linked to the same account on her phone) had an ad to buy it when she turned it on a few minutes later and later on that day my Now news feed on my phone started getting those "Gone With The Wind" is racist articles. Watching it happen in real time is just creepy.
                      Same boat. I've found that Lineage OS works perfectly for this. 90% of the apps I need are either pre-installed, or available with f-droid, and the few that aren't, I can scrape off google play store with aurora which is in F-droid.

I'm not huuuge on apps, but I need a comms device that runs whatever app of the week my non-techie friends use, a PDA, a navigation device, and a music player that works with BT, and has a decent interface and smooth patching.

In addition, Lineage os known for bolting on more privacy and other features that seamlessly integrate so hard you forget they are even 3rd party. Overall well done pro-grade ROM, with support for a lot of phones, and pretty damn good hardware support that even gets vendor specific features working most of the time.

If you really need you can re-install gapps, or even the FOSS re-implementation of the API, I bother with neither because I don't need it, but its always an option.

Comment

Working...
                      X