Sailfish OS 4.1 Finally Embracing 64-bit, Android 10 App Support API Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post

"Just recompile for 64-bit" is not always so simple, subtle bitness bugs can be a pain.
    Sure if you write shitty code that assumes pointer sizes. Just don't do that. Especially as all of the hard work has already been done for them. Fedora 21 introduced AArch64 ISOs back in 2014 ffs.
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 27 May 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Sailfish gestures are really nice and after a few days you're stuck with them. It took me longer to unlearn them than it took to learn them. I also think the idea of "The Other Half" on the Jolla phone were really cool, leaving it up to users and third party companies to make things like a physical keyboard. Too bad it never caught on.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Frankly, I'm just tired of Android. I feel like I'm walking around with a black box data recorder actively giving out my data to the highest bidder.

The way my phone, Google, and more do advertising creeps me the fuck out.
        The creepy thing is that it would be easy for them to allow you to control your data/options but they choose to not let you in deceiving ways with pseudo-options.
        Like why does the location provider has to ask if you would like to use Google acceleration every single time? Or why does it need a module that in principle could reprogram your phone at any point in time without your consent?

The biggest problem here are the Google Play services though that include most of these shenanigans.
        ​​​​​

Have you looked into LineageOS with microG?

​​​​​​I haven't tested it yet but it should be enough to be able to use a phone for most important features

I am currently locked in by google because you cannot do a full phone backup without root apart from google cloud backup or if you are lucky your oem has added a backup provider that allows you to safe everything in a format you can use.
        I may have luck with the LGbackupprovider.

There a few more things that I find despicable.

​​​​​

Comment

I am not sure what exactly is the appeal for Sailfish with GNU/Linux fans. My understanding is that much of it is closed source.
          For open source enthusiasts I still think LineageOS is probably closest to being a functional phone/tablet.

Comment

Sony Xperia 1 II seems like a pretty good phone.

Sony HQ is in Japan, the devices are made in Thailand. It can run stock Android 10/11 and LineageOS. It has a Micro SD Card slot, a AUX headphone jack. Dedicated camera button. The main camera seems pretty adequate though the front camera seems like it could be improved. It's 4G. Carrier Unlocked. Bonus Sony Camera / Camcorder Apps with more pro-camera-esk settings.

Sony Xperia 10 III is coming out in August with 4G+5G -- I would imagine once software catches up it'll be a banger.

In terms of being developed by a respectable company, ethically, etc... it seems like a winner, I'm not sure I would be into running Sailfish OS on it or not -- but it's good to have options. Maybe UBPorts.
            Last edited by ElectricPrism; 27 May 2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Not sure if it's really worthwhile. 🤷

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                I am not sure what exactly is the appeal for Sailfish with GNU/Linux fans. My understanding is that much of it is closed source.
                For open source enthusiasts I still think LineageOS is probably closest to being a functional phone/tablet.
                LineageOS is still Android, and Android is kind of meh. I owned a Nokia N900 and an N9, and would have loved to have gotten a Jolla phone (or tablet, which I tried for) if only to get that experience again. Even after owning the N9, it was really hard to use Android afterward as the N9's interface was just so easy to use and intuitive and applications that you think are dead are actually dead and not just running in the background...

And why, for the love of god, can't Android figure out a universal messenger program? N900, N9 and BB10 OS all have/had one that worked great! No need for the billion individual applications just so you can talk to friends on various platforms...

Comment

Originally posted by Vasant1234 View Post
                  I like it because it lacks a lot of crap I despise and I have a GNU/Linux under the hood. SSH, rsync ... anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                    And still this awful little OS got some strong following. Phosh, in its early state is already so much better of a shell for phones then this weird proprietary gesture garbage.
                    #whining

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

#whining
                      Oh no, a hurt Sailfish OS user.

Comment

Working...
                      X