Sailfish OS 4.1 Finally Embracing 64-bit, Android 10 App Support API Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS 4.1 Finally Embracing 64-bit, Android 10 App Support API Level

Phoronix: Sailfish OS 4.1 Finally Embracing 64-bit, Android 10 App Support API Level

While other mobile operating systems have for years been on a 64-bit software stack and in the process of phasing out 32-bit app support, Jolla is celebrating Sailfish 4.1 as finally marking their first fully 64-bit Sailfish OS software stack -- for use currently just with the Sony Xperia 10 II smartphone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sailfish OS is a neat little paradox. The main components that make it more then a standard RPM based distro, the components that make it Sailfish OS are all Proprietary. And still this awful little OS got some strong following. Phosh, in its early state is already so much better of a shell for phones then this weird proprietary gesture garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      Sailfish OS is a neat little paradox. The main components that make it more then a standard RPM based distro, the components that make it Sailfish OS are all Proprietary. And still this awful little OS got some strong following. Phosh, in its early state is already so much better of a shell for phones then this weird proprietary gesture garbage.
      Not true. You confuse Jolla with Sailfish.

Comment

That's probably because it doesn't look all that bad and the majority of people could are less about Open and Proprietary. Because I prefer a PC interface for most tasks I could care less about phone app stores as long as the camera and music player work well. I just need communications, cat pictures, and driving music out of my phone and it looks like their system does that well enough. I wish their OS supported my Moto G Power (2020) because I'd consider it.

Frankly, I'm just tired of Android. I feel like I'm walking around with a black box data recorder actively giving out my data to the highest bidder. Messed up thing is I don't mind telemetry and turn it on on my Linux and Windows installs and also send bug reports when I get a popup about it. I don't mind helping them figure out what is and isn't used or what's messing up so they know what to target for bugs and features.

The way my phone, Google, and more do advertising creeps me the fuck out. Very damn creepy when someone talks about something and you start getting ads for it on the Roku and Phone...and I keep all that "OK Google" voice command bullshit turned off. Google eavesdropping is not cool at all. Just the other day my Mom was talking about "Gone With The Wind" so of course her Roku TV (linked to the same account on her phone) had an ad to buy it when she turned it on a few minutes later and later on that day my Now news feed on my phone started getting those "Gone With The Wind" is racist articles. Watching it happen in real time is just creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post

Not true. You confuse Jolla with Sailfish.
          Jolla is a failed company and failed phone producer that also makes Sailfish OS.

Here is a overview what components are FLOSS and which are fully proprietary garbage: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FbfD5dlCt...255B1%255D.jpg
          Last edited by Alexmitter; 27 May 2021, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I can't understand how this is still alive

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              I can't understand how this is still alive
              A crowd of fans still supports it.

Comment

The attitude of the author to remark how some things proceed slowly compared to others irritates me.
                Take it easy man.

Comment

Ermhaghad this thing that's literally a compile switch to support unless we were absolute dumbasses about how we wrote our code was so hard to support and provides no benefits... except this whole big list of benefits... Really Jolla? Really? You have no excuse for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Ermhaghad this thing that's literally a compile switch to support unless we were absolute dumbasses about how we wrote our code was so hard to support and provides no benefits... except this whole big list of benefits... Really Jolla? Really? You have no excuse for this.
                    "Just recompile for 64-bit" is not always so simple, subtle bitness bugs can be a pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X