Benchmarking AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Linux Performance With A $450 Lenovo Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I think it's a mistake AMD didn't go for Zen3. When comparing per-core performance, Intel is catching up.
    Ah.......so that's why 5500U is being sold for such good prices right now in India. Looked at Amazon India and there were laptops with nice specs for decent prices?!

Too bad AMDs Linux support is so crappy. Otherwise that would have been a great deal.

Comment

I said "Good luck getting a new (as in, released recently) Lenovo for $500 with RAM slots, let alone two."
      That is what this article is about, dumbass! You don't need good luck. They exist and are available. So you were wrong. End of story.

Still available at the same place Michael got it: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Id...3NUS/773741305

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        That is what this article is about, dumbass! You don't need good luck. They exist and are available. So you were wrong. End of story.
        wtf? The article has nothing to do with laptop memory. It's mostly about the 5500U. And it doesn't have 2 slots, dumbass. It has 1 with soldered on-board memory. Michael isn't stupid - he likely did his research and deliberately bought one of the few examples of a budget laptop that supports dual channel. Since he's mostly using it for benchmarks, 8GB isn't a problem for him, but it isn't enough for a lot of people these days (remember, it is shared with the GPU) and it's not exactly acceptable to expect people to upgrade their RAM on a brand new device.
        I should remind you too that availability can be a problem, so just because a model exists and is in stock in a particular store, doesn't mean just anyone can get their hands on it. What about other countries? What about people who need a different keyboard layout? You're so obsessed about proving me wrong that you just ignore all other conditions just because there's a couple exceptions. So when it's your cash being spent, are you fine with just settling with whatever is available, even if it doesn't check all your boxes? For many people, this laptop is perfectly adequate. It's not for everyone, and the problem with that is there's not many alternatives to choose from. Get a damn grip on reality.

If you were to say I'm exaggerating the rarity of new dual channel and/or dual DIMM budget laptops, I would accept that. But there is no doubt whatsoever that getting one in stock is getting increasingly difficult.
        Now really, think about it: does the above statement warrant your conniption? Do you have a problem keeping friends or getting invited to parties, because everyone finds the way you over-react to be insufferable? Note how I never responded to your post here:
        https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...95#post1258495
        I didn't respond because at the time, you weren't losing your composure and I acknowledge there are some exceptions. Then, you got needlessly antagonistic and now you've dug yourself in this hole where you just look like an asshole, because you were taking things way too literally.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 28 May 2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

wtf? The article has nothing to do with laptop memory. It's mostly about the 5500U. And it doesn't have 2 slots, dumbass. It has 1 with soldered on-board memory. Michael isn't stupid - he likely did his research and deliberately bought one of the few examples of a budget laptop that supports dual channel. Since he's mostly using it for benchmarks, 8GB isn't a problem for him, but it isn't enough for a lot of people these days (remember, it is shared with the GPU) and it's not exactly acceptable to expect people to upgrade their RAM on a brand new device.
          I should remind you too that availability can be a problem, so just because a model exists and is in stock in a particular store, doesn't mean just anyone can get their hands on it. What about other countries? What about people who need a different keyboard layout? You're so obsessed about proving me wrong that you just ignore all other conditions just because there's a couple exceptions. So when it's your cash being spent, are you fine with just settling with whatever is available, even if it doesn't check all your boxes? For many people, this laptop is perfectly adequate. It's not for everyone, and the problem with that is there's not many alternatives to choose from. Get a damn grip on reality.

If you were to say I'm exaggerating the rarity of new dual channel and/or dual DIMM budget laptops, I would accept that. But there is no doubt whatsoever that getting one in stock is getting increasingly difficult.
          Now really, think about it: does the above statement warrant your conniption? Do you have a problem keeping friends or getting invited to parties, because everyone finds the way you over-react to be insufferable? Note how I never responded to your post here:
          https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...95#post1258495
          I didn't respond because at the time, you weren't losing your composure and I acknowledge there are some exceptions. Then, you got needlessly antagonistic and now you've dug yourself in this hole where you just look like an asshole, because you were taking things way too literally.
          I'm not going to read that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            I'm not going to read that.
            Spoken like a true winner!

Comment

I'm not going to waste my time looking back through this thread, but i'll just say - there was a lot of posts early on talking about how all these cheap AMD laptops just have soldered memory. So I think it was a useful contribution when it was noted that this laptop in fact does have a slot which can be used to add more RAM.

Comment

Working...
              X