Benchmarking AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Linux Performance With A $450 Lenovo Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Lenovo do have laptops with RAM slots. Check E and L series Thinkpads.
    I'm aware. The context here is budget laptops. Good luck getting a new (as in, released recently) Lenovo for $500 with RAM slots, let alone two.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm aware. The context here is budget laptops. Good luck getting a new (as in, released recently) Lenovo for $500 with RAM slots, let alone two.
      For the last time, this thing has an SODIMM slot. RTFM: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer...b/s360_hmm.pdf

Comment

As stated above, then get an Ideapad, or Thinkpad E, which is not that over $500(in US). Especially if you wait for promotions like Easter, 4 July, School season sale, Christmas, Black Friday, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Not expecting this comment to live long but:
          • AMD Ryzen 5 5500U is a Zen 2 CPU, not Zen 3 as Michael claims which means in single threaded tasks they are almost the same.
          • The major difference between 4500U and 5500U is that the latter has SMT and slightly beefed up graphics, Vega 7 vs Vega 6 previously (an extra EU, plus 20% higher frequency).
          Michael actually does directly say in the article that it's Zen 2 and not Zen 3:

Originally posted by phoronix
          The Ryzen 5 5500U is a Zen 2 based laptop processor rather than Zen 3 with the higher-end 5000 series models.
          I'm still working on getting my hands on a Zen 3 based AMD Ryzen 5000 series laptop for Linux testing -

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            For the last time, this thing has an SODIMM slot. RTFM: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer...b/s360_hmm.pdf
            Yes, which as you've already established, only has 1. Not worth getting, so stop bringing it up.

Comment

Yes, which as you've already established, only has 1. Not worth getting, so stop bringing it up.
              That's not what you said. "Good luck getting a new (as in, released recently) Lenovo for $500 with RAM slots, let alone two."
              Just admit you were wrong and apologize.

Also, if it has one slot, you can throw a 16GB stick in there for about $90 and then you have 20GB of RAM. That's definitely worth mentioning..

Comment

It's a shame this thing doesn't do AV1 decode, or I'd get one for my mom.

Comment

It's a shame this thing doesn't do AV1 decode, or I'd get one for my mom.
                  Does that really matter? As long as the rest of the stack is in shape (which it should be) you've still 6-12 cores for SW decode. AV1 can't be so badly designed that that isn't more than enough to handle it.

Obviously it comes at the expense of using more power than you'd like, but ISTM that a simple "doesn't do AV1" claim is pretty badly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                    "doesn't do AV1" claim is pretty badly wrong.
                    Okay, it doesn't do accelerated AV1 decode, and I would like to know if the 5500U can handle 1080p AV1 without the fan going crazy loud.

Comment

Okay, it doesn't do accelerated AV1 decode, and I would like to know if the 5500U can handle 1080p AV1 without the fan going crazy loud.
                      There's a 1080p AV1 test done in this article. It was capable of decoding at 323fps. 10bit test was a 218fps.

I think it's a fairly safe assumption to make that decoding at 30fps could be done without breaking a sweat (or ramping up fans).

4k on the other hand would probably be pushing it a bit hard. Only 92fps.

Comment

Working...
                      X