No announcement yet.

Android 12 Beta Published With Performance Enhancements, Overhauled UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new UI is truly horrible but the underlying changes to the Android core are very nice.

Hopefully OEMs will continue to offer colored icons and overall colorful UI, as this greyish crap needs to stop.

This is the worst UI redesign in Android ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I wish GNOME designers especially were forced to do that. How does the new design contribute to make typical user workflows easier? How does it help to make it easier for users to find the functions they are looking for? How is it more accessible for colorblind people? Etc etc etc.
      I like how interface designers say it every time that its better. The last 100 times were all garbage and now this one will be also next time lol. Can't even do their job well. I'm not talking just about gnome though but anything where they keep changing it as if its better.

Oh yes! The color red changes everything! OH WOW! So much better! Yellow OH wow its so great! Oh wait we used that one already! But now its even better because we make circles!

It gets better. Horizontal is now better than vertical! Its magic! You can go left and right now instead of up and down! Soooo AWESOME! Left right left right left right. So much fun! Let's ship it!
      Last edited by ix900; 18 May 2021, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

I like how interface designers say it every time that its better. The last 100 times were all garbage and now this one will be also next time lol. Can't even do their job well. I'm not talking just about gnome though but anything where they keep changing it as if its better.

Oh yes! The color red changes everything! OH WOW! So much better! Yellow OH wow its so great! Oh wait we used that one already! But now its even better because we make circles!

It gets better. Horizontal is now better than vertical! Its magic! You can go left and right now instead of up and down! Soooo AWESOME! Left right left right left right. So much fun! Let's ship it!
        You mean the change from banana yellow to lemon yellow didn't increase your productivity 329% like in our focus groups?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You mean the change from banana yellow to lemon yellow didn't increase your productivity 329% like in our focus groups?
          It was about the same as the last 100 changes lol

Comment

They need to change it regulary.. Otherwise "normal" people would complain that their new phone looks exactly the same like the old..
            I mean, all the phones are basically large screens, with some sort of backside, that you typically don´t see when using it.. The only thing that you really see is the UI.

There is no real point in these UI-Changes most of the time, they are just there to make it look "new".
            Add more whitespace (padding), make fonts bigger, simplify colors.. That´s what they do.. We moved from aqua buttons to win 3.11 or ncurses like UI without any gradients or 3D effects.. Color is removed as well..

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
              They need to change it regulary.. Otherwise "normal" people would complain that their new phone looks exactly the same like the old..
              I mean, all the phones are basically large screens, with some sort of backside, that you typically don´t see when using it.. The only thing that you really see is the UI.

There is no real point in these UI-Changes most of the time, they are just there to make it look "new".
              Add more whitespace (padding), make fonts bigger, simplify colors.. That´s what they do.. We moved from aqua buttons to win 3.11 or ncurses like UI without any gradients or 3D effects.. Color is removed as well..
              I think this is a big fallacy. In reality there are few things users hate as much as UI changes for change's sake. Some people have learnt to do certain things, some have developed muscle memory but no-one wants to feel confused and start looking for the "save" option that can't be where it was for the past 10 years just because.

Comment

if only they can add a linux distro similar to how dex use to have or chromebooks if i'm not wrong. one that has also gpu acceleration to it

Comment

Originally posted by willmore
                  I wonder if this is implemented, how they do so. Do they degrade it and say "you're getting degraded info" or when the app asks for location does it say "precise location only, please" and if the device (or per app) settings say to provide degraded, does the OS just say "Sorry, not available"?
                  It works like your latter scenario. Prior to this change the app would request your location, and the degree of precision would be implied by the API used (ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION or ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION). The difference now is that the user gets a chance to be more specific about what degree they want to allow. Here’s a visual. The app will definitely know which it has access to.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                    if only they can add a linux distro similar to how dex use to have or chromebooks if i'm not wrong. one that has also gpu acceleration to it
                    They can. But they won't. Simpler than adding linux distro? USB passthrough like Samsung/ Apple/ Sony/ Huawei flagship phone, where you can use usb to hdmi (we can install linux on top of android, ssh/ vnc-ed to the linux and use it in our monitor.) . It's quite simple, and not that pricey to add those. But they won't do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post

It works like your latter scenario. Prior to this change the app would request your location, and the degree of precision would be implied by the API used (ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION or ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION). The difference now is that the user gets a chance to be more specific about what degree they want to allow. Here’s a visual. The app will definitely know which it has access to.
                      Thanks for the reply. I think I understand that the app will know which precision level it gets. What I'm still wondering if the app will know that there *is* fine positioning on device and that they were *denied* access to that? Do you know? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X