Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Moblin V2 Alpha 2: It Boots Even Faster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well there are Celeron-M with SSE3, did you check?

grep -o sse3 /proc/cpuinfo
    Well, based on the comments on Moblin site apparently not:

(i'm not with my eee right now)

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      No, because suspend to disk doesn't consume energy. It shuts down completely. It then resumes from the image saved on the swap partition.

People do this on Windows. It's too useful to live without, even if Windows has very fast boot times. Fast booting is a workaround for suspend bugs, NOT the other way around.
      Oh, you were talking about suspend to disk.. Well, I only saw this working one time on my entire life, so I presumed nobody used it, sorry..

I think the very concept of boot we have now is flawed. If we had a SSD that had the same size of our RAM, and computers where designed* to save the RAM on this SSD when you shutdown (or from time to time in case of power failure), and then just restored it on boot, it would be much better IMO.

* designed is very different from adapted (as suspend to disk is today)
      Last edited by puelocesar; 25 March 2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Anybody know where to get the ISO? I got one of the alpha 1 release, so I know they're out there, but I couldn't find a link for it on the Moblin site.

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
          Oh, you were talking about suspend to disk.. Well, I only saw this working one time on my entire life, so I presumed nobody used it, sorry..

I think the very concept of boot we have now is flawed. If we had a SSD that had the same size of our RAM, and computers where designed* to save the RAM on this SSD when you shutdown (or from time to time in case of power failure), and then just restored it on boot, it would be much better IMO.

* designed is very different from adapted (as suspend to disk is today)
          It takes a bit of work, but I have hibernate support working correctly on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6000, Ubuntu 8.4, and now 8.10). It did take a bit of work, but eventually I convinced it to function. The only real downside to it, which prevents me from using it more often is that the hard drive in the machine is so slow to save the RAM to disk that it might actually be faster to shutdown/reboot than hibernate the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmadph View Post
            Anybody know where to get the ISO? I got one of the alpha 1 release, so I know they're out there, but I couldn't find a link for it on the Moblin site.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks! I had seen that, but I didn't know one could use a .IMG file like a .ISO, but I've since downloaded it, and it seems to work pretty well.

Comment

No, because suspend to disk doesn't consume energy. It shuts down completely. It then resumes from the image saved on the swap partition.

People do this on Windows. It's too useful to live without, even if Windows has very fast boot times. Fast booting is a workaround for suspend bugs, NOT the other way around.
                Ever tried to suspend to disk with 8 gigs of RAM? Try it, it's fun. Not to mention the 8GB swap partition you need just to get it to work (slight exaggeration, but compression can only do so much).

Suspend to ram/disk is a workaround for slow boot times. I'd very much prefer a real solution myself.

Comment

Rebooting the machine means losing all the caches. I don't like that. After a reboot, it takes a while for the system to perform as well as with warmed caches. That's why I view boot time optimizations as a workaround for suspend.

Comment

That's why I view boot time optimizations as a workaround for suspend.
                    I agree, to a point. Warm caches, and also the time saved by not re-launching all the various daemons is very nice to have.

But consider this: If you're dual-booting a machine, and share a data partition between the various OS installations, hibernation is a very bad idea (leads to possible disk corruption when you've got multiple OSes trying to modify a filesystem). In this case, hibernate only works when you boot the machine back up to the same OS that you were last running. If you want to switch OSes, boot/shutdown times definitely matter. I find myself in this situation on my laptop quite a bit. I work on code in Ubuntu, then switch to WinXP for whatever nefarious purposes I use it for, then maybe switch back to Linux later. If my laptop supported hardware virtualization, more than 2GB RAM, and had faster I/O, I'd definitely be looking into running a windows or linux VM.

If you've only got the one OS installed, then hibernation is fine, unless you have a large amount of memory which takes forever to write/read to/from disk, and you are ok with saving/reopening your programs.

Comment

I can report working suspend(standard through pm-utils) and hibernation (directly through s2disk) on my laptop.
                      It is asus f3jr running Ubuntu 8.10 and 0SS ati driver v. 6.12.1 and I have not had any problems considering suspend/hibernation for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X