Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tormod
    replied
    From the link I posted and other Google hits, it seems like the touchscreen actually works fine, with the evtouch driver. So basically everything works in Linux, but as with many computers there is a little bit of fiddling or configuration after installing a given distribution.

Leave a comment:

• lordmozilla
    replied
    you can bet that any other distro released recently, wether linpus, opensuse or fedora will faill on that box, drivers need to be written/updated, it just says it doesnt work out of the box....

Windows never does, why do people seem to expect linux to work straight away and all drivers to work seemlessly?

For one i don't really see it as a failure, the only thing that seems to fail is the touchscreen, and the fact there is some input seems to mean the driver needs work, but that it does exist, which is always good.

Leave a comment:

• tormod
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    How did you build em? I needed a little build fix linux-libc-dev 2.6.28, because one line is not defined there (only in 2.6.29).
    Any additions to the Debian packaging is documented in the changelog. They were built against a libdrm-dev from the same PPA, but check the build log see exactly which version.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    How did you build em? I needed a little build fix linux-libc-dev 2.6.28, because one line is not defined there (only in 2.6.29).

Leave a comment:

• tormod
    replied
    Ubuntu 9.04 will not likely ship with the Intel 2.7 driver, which means Eee Top customers would need to go through these added steps at least until later this year when Ubuntu 9.10 is introduced.
    If only simple fixes needs to be picked from the 2.7 branch, it is still possible that support can be added to Ubuntu 9.04. But as someone already said, this will not happen without a bug report being filed.

BTW, there are Jaunty builds of the -intel master branch (pretty similar to the 2.7 branch at this point) at https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa which should work and hopefully make those "added steps" easier.

A useful resource for Ubuntu 8.10: http://www.eeepc.it/en/guida-install...-eee-top-1602/
    Last edited by tormod; 22 March 2009, 08:01 PM. Reason: add link

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well I have got my own distro, of course i try to provide best hw support. But for that i need more infos than just something like it does not work, that helps nobody.

Leave a comment:

• superppl
    replied
    As an OpenSUSE user, I would have liked to see them try several other distros, but I have to admit that when it comes to hardware, modern distro's perform just about the same.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    I agree with the other posters that the article should be named "ASUS Eee Top Fails With Ubuntu" rather than "with Linux". After all, you cannot blame ASUS for the Ubuntu release policy. The code which makes the Eee Top work under Linux is there for anyone to take and for any distributor to integrate as they please.

Leave a comment:

• jeffro-tull
    replied
    God forbid you guys try something other than Ubuntu.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but "things don't work well with Ubuntu" is not the same as "Linux support for $DEVICE is still pending". For example, my Aspire One. Everything worked with Linpus. My wireless didn't work out of the box with Ubuntu. The wireless worked out of the box with Madwifi with Mandriva. The wireless worked out of the box with ath5k with openSUSE.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    I don't have got the hardware, first i would check the pci-id of all devices if they are in the intel driver or not.

lspci -nn

could be helpful. Then maybe you find a difference in the driver when you can find that specific id for the VGA chip. I don't think you can blame the hw vendor if intel maybe changed a little thing in the latest hw revision.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X