X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    rlkrlk

• rlkrlk
    replied
    Be nice to have a real workstation-type laptop with a 17" screen, H-series CPU, plenty of storage slots and ample USB ports.

Leave a comment:

• glock24
    Phoronix Member

• glock24
    replied
    2 USB 2.0 ports? Why? All 4 ports on my late 2015 laptop are USB 3.0, how much cost does it add to have USB 3.x?

Leave a comment:

• quaz0r

• quaz0r
    replied
    am i the only one who thought of south park when they saw this headline

Leave a comment:

• Mez'

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by KoenDG View Post
    They seemed to have avoided mentioning anything about PCIE connections. So I'm gonna assume 3rd gen?

Well, the one before the most recent one anyway.

Better to wait for Ryzen laptops with those, I think, at this point.

Unless you're already upgrading from something really old and you need an upgrade anyway.
    Assuming it's the Clevo I mentioned above, from Tuxedo website:
    1x SATAIII or NVMe / PCIe Gen3 x4

Leave a comment:

• KoenDG

• KoenDG
    replied
    They seemed to have avoided mentioning anything about PCIE connections. So I'm gonna assume 3rd gen?

Well, the one before the most recent one anyway.

Better to wait for Ryzen laptops with those, I think, at this point.

Unless you're already upgrading from something really old and you need an upgrade anyway.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
    The Lenovo Ideapad is 16:10 and only around 600-700 Euros. 16:10 are definitely available in the mid-range market, and Acer even do some 3:2 at the lower end. These aren't boutique options.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo....479644.0.html

Slapping a 1080p screen on a laptop is just lazy in 2021.
    Depends on the screen and the laptop...

Leave a comment:

• asriel

• asriel
    replied
    I would also recommend to check screen quality - not just the ratio. Brightness and colorspace coverage. In 600 Euro laptop there is a big chance to have screen 200-300nit brightness and 60% of sRGB instead of 400+ nit and 97-99% on good screens. And for the 16:10 ratio there are not many screens on the market to replace. Dell XPS have bright color accurate screens, the only point is the price and CPUs stuck forever in 14nm for 15" version... For 16:9 it is not an issue - I got inexpensive MSI modern 15 with bad screen and got a replacement sharp IGZO panel for 100EU on aliexpress. But it will take more time for 16:10 panels to become mainstream. Unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• tornado99

• tornado99
    replied
    The Lenovo Ideapad is 16:10 and only around 600-700 Euros. 16:10 are definitely available in the mid-range market, and Acer even do some 3:2 at the lower end. These aren't boutique options.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo....479644.0.html

Slapping a 1080p screen on a laptop is just lazy in 2021.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Tuxedo has also developed a nice BIOS, the keyboard backlight is supported (fn keys included for colors or brightness), the Tuxedo fan control, some drivers and a few other utilities.
    In addition, you can get many different keyboard layouts, and a nice Tux for Super key, that looks better than the one on the Pangolin.
    If this is indeed the same model, I definitely recommend it. I don't know if System76 has some custom tools or drivers but they might interchanged with Tuxedo's. Worth a try.
    That's interesting (and useful!) to know - thanks!

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

16:10? 16:10 is dead man only apple uses that shit
    I disliked the shift of the industry toward 16:9, apparently simply to copy television, and am happy to see 16:10 return.

Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Cool. The oddest thing about System76 for me has been their consistent use of NVIDIA GPUs; they render their other machines basically useless to me.
    I need CUDA for work, but I just picked up a Ryzen APU-based mini-PC to tinker around with. I wanted to wait until the 5000 series APUs were available, but I found a deal I couldn't say no to, even if it is a slightly older APU.

Not having to faff around with nVidia drivers is a revelation - if I can (realistically) translate some of the CUDA applications I use(/have code for) to AMD using HIPpify (not expecting it to work, but willing to give it a shot) I will be very, very happy.

Leave a comment:

• asriel

• asriel
    replied
    Originally posted by eltomito View Post

Widescreen is great for professional translators, for instance. You want the source and destination documents side by side and a 3:2 screen is a nightmare for that. I'm actually considering getting their 4500U laptop. If it's well built, the price seems about right to me.

It's beyond me why anyone would want to use 16:10 instead of 16:9 which is an established movie format. Why?
    Because world is not limited to translators and movie fans. For me as a scientist and developer 16:9 is a nightmare because most of the screen space is taken by the ugly interface leaving narrow gap for the meaningfull content. Yes - it can be ok to split screen in 2 part if yu have 4K or 8K monitor 30+ inches , but we are talking about laptops here. Splitting this little screen in 2 is like reading on 2 phones.

If we are talking about content creators - they will also benefot from extra space on 16:10 because allow you more space for control elements while testing the content. Kind of counters or progressbars can be not on top of the content but under it.

So there will be a lot of people welocming 16:10 and 3:2 screens. Unfortunately those screens are not yet in such mass production and usually used in expensive premium laptops.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X