No announcement yet.

System76 Pangolin Laptop Launches - Powered By AMD Ryzen 4000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also recommend to check screen quality - not just the ratio. Brightness and colorspace coverage. In 600 Euro laptop there is a big chance to have screen 200-300nit brightness and 60% of sRGB instead of 400+ nit and 97-99% on good screens. And for the 16:10 ratio there are not many screens on the market to replace. Dell XPS have bright color accurate screens, the only point is the price and CPUs stuck forever in 14nm for 15" version... For 16:9 it is not an issue - I got inexpensive MSI modern 15 with bad screen and got a replacement sharp IGZO panel for 100EU on aliexpress. But it will take more time for 16:10 panels to become mainstream. Unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
      The Lenovo Ideapad is 16:10 and only around 600-700 Euros. 16:10 are definitely available in the mid-range market, and Acer even do some 3:2 at the lower end. These aren't boutique options.

Lenovo has quietly updated one of the most interesting consumer laptops made by the Chinese company in the last year: The Lenovo IdeaPad S540, which sports a screen in the rare 16:10 aspect ratio. The new version S540-13ARE sports AMD Ryzen 4000. The catch: It is not available in the USA, at least for now.

Slapping a 1080p screen on a laptop is just lazy in 2021.
      Depends on the screen and the laptop...

Comment

They seemed to have avoided mentioning anything about PCIE connections. So I'm gonna assume 3rd gen?

Well, the one before the most recent one anyway.

Better to wait for Ryzen laptops with those, I think, at this point.

Unless you're already upgrading from something really old and you need an upgrade anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KoenDG View Post
          They seemed to have avoided mentioning anything about PCIE connections. So I'm gonna assume 3rd gen?

Well, the one before the most recent one anyway.

Better to wait for Ryzen laptops with those, I think, at this point.

Unless you're already upgrading from something really old and you need an upgrade anyway.
          Assuming it's the Clevo I mentioned above, from Tuxedo website:
          1x SATAIII or NVMe / PCIe Gen3 x4

Comment

am i the only one who thought of south park when they saw this headline

Comment

2 USB 2.0 ports? Why? All 4 ports on my late 2015 laptop are USB 3.0, how much cost does it add to have USB 3.x?

Comment

Be nice to have a real workstation-type laptop with a 17" screen, H-series CPU, plenty of storage slots and ample USB ports.

Comment

Working...
                X