Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sailfish OS 4.0.1 No Longer Support The Jolla Phone But Has Many Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS 4.0.1 No Longer Support The Jolla Phone But Has Many Other Improvements

Phoronix: Sailfish OS 4.0.1 No Longer Support The Jolla Phone But Has Many Other Improvements

Jolla's Sailfish OS 4.0.1 was released this past week to early access subscribers as a major milestone for Sailfish OS 4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

no longer supports the Jolla Phone
    That is nearly 8 years of updates to major versions. Not too bad.

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Sailfish never fails to fail.
    How so?
    Last edited by oleid; 08 February 2021, 07:28 AM.

Comment

no longer supports the Jolla Phone
      That is nearly 8 years of upgrades to new major versions. Not too bad.

Comment

oleid Well what are you gonna do when you only ever shipped two devices?

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
          oleid Well what are you gonna do when you only ever shipped two devices?
          They never promised they will support their phone for so long, and yet they did, and apart from newer Android app support it was fully featured. In comparison Planet Computers the creators of Gemini PDA promised an upgrade to a newer Android version, and when they finally released if was full of problems. Software upgrades are certainly not a given, even when they were promised.
          And Jolla certainly could have discontinued it earlier, they are supporting many newer devices.
          That's the good side, on the bad side if you want to use Sailfish on a newer device, the device list from them is atrocious. They best phone they support is Xperia 10, a midrange phone that already has its years, Gemini PDA lacks Android app support which is essential in my opinion, and the really cool F(x)tec lacks official version and you are stuck with community version which can't legally have Android app support, same with Pinephone.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
            -- on the bad side if you want to use Sailfish on a newer device, the device list from them is atrocious. They best phone they support is Xperia 10, a midrange phone that already has its years --
            You forgot to mention that this shit isn't even free. If you buy an Xperia 10, you have to shill out more cash for the Sailfish X. And once you upgrade your phone, you have to purchase Sailfish X yet again. Licenses cannot even be migrated from one device to another.

Comment

I was expecting them to drop the original Jolla phone years ago and I'm genuinely surprised they supported it for this long. Some will probably moan about how they should support it basically to the heat death of the universe, but they're entitled idiots and support has already been above and beyond of what can be realistically expected. Even the Android support isn't their fault as it requires new drivers from Qualcomm which are damn expensive and not available to Jolla anymore.

On top of what's mentioned in the article there's also stuff like firejail-based app sandboxing, a bunch of other open source software improvements and a host of quality-of-life UI improvements and additions.

Hoped this would be when they'd really start the migration to ARMv8, a.k.a 64 bit arm as there was already a start to that migration in 3.4. However thinking back at it, they probably had to deprecate the original Sailfish Phone, the only ARMv7 device with official support, before they could really move on with that without a huge duplication of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

You forgot to mention that this shit isn't even free. If you buy an Xperia 10, you have to shill out more cash for the Sailfish X. And once you upgrade your phone, you have to purchase Sailfish X yet again. Licenses cannot even be migrated from one device to another.
                I think you'll find most (if not all) sources. So you *could* compile it on your own. I don't know about you, but personally, I'd rather buy something and get proper support than spending my week-ends compiling stuff for my phone. There is too much other nice stuff to do

Comment

Ok cool, but what's the plan? Where is this going?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Ok cool, but what's the plan? Where is this going?
                    I hope it's not going anywhere
                    Currently it's the most stable Linux phone you can have as a daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X