Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel On Their 11th Gen H35 Processors: "Fastest Single-Threaded Laptop Performance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grigi
    replied
    SpecINTPerf isn't what I call a unbiased benchmark. It's also not really representative of what you think it is.

It's true that the new 11-gen intel stuff has faster burst single-thread perf then renoir, but not faster than cezanne. It also can't sustain it as long. Mostly I'm interested in sustained performance on my notebooks as I do a TON of compilation on there.

A 8-gen intel part with a notebook that can keep temps in line consistently outperforms a 10-gen one that turbos literally over a GHz faster, but can't sustain perf due to throttling.

Leave a comment:

• Tuxee
    replied
    Originally posted by squash View Post
    #MeToo but after the almost complete lack of availability of AMD's top end low power part (Ryzen 4800u) in the US market in ANY form I'm not expecting the 5800u to be any more real... And I sure don't want to spend more for a dgpu that I have to disable in any case.
    Bought a Lenovo ThinkBook with an 4800u for 800 EUR about two weeks ago and another X13 with 4750u pro in September. They are not overly abundant here in Europe but far from "completely lacking".

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Those pesky OEM.
    Never providing Good CPU with user replacable and easily accessible part with reasonable price.
    If you want something like that, must go premium with their business laptop. and it will command premium price too.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by slavikgenes View Post
    Well, there is at least an HP EliteBook with 4750U and some Lenovo models with 4800U w/o dGPU for pretty reasonable money in my location.
    I was in the market for a new laptop back in November, and really wanted a Ryzen 4700u or 4800u. I literally could not find one. It was a "shut up and take my money" scenario, and there was nowhere to buy from. I wanted a ThinkPad T14 or T15, of which there were dozens of intel configs available, including a BTO custom option. For Ryzen, they offered a single fixed configuration 4500u model. Config was totally fixed, you could not even select RAM or SSD size. "Take it or leave it". Um... no thanks. I went with a Galago Pro from System76 instead.

Not sure why this was the case, I can only speculate that it was a shortage of parts from AMD, they couldn't keep up with demand maybe. Even more disappointing was when I discovered intel latest "feature" where they killed the S3 sleep state in favor of the worthless S0ix turd sleep. Can't find a Ryzen, and intel 11th gen sucks for laptops. What a situation to be in.

Leave a comment:

• nvaert1986
    replied
    Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

This. I've been looking for a laptop with a performant CPU, but they are all 'gaming' laptops with a dGPU. These come with tradeoffs I am just not willing to make.
    You're looking at the wrong type of laptops in your case.

- Have a look at the Dell Latitude 5411 or 5511 series (make sure it does not end with a 0 but with a 1). These are business (decent quality) laptops with a iGPU and a H (not U; so performant) processor.

- Have a look at the Dell Precision 7xxx series (the high end series only), as these aren't muxless and you can switch between graphics in the BIOS / UEFI (NOTE: The NVIDIA chip MIGHT be required to use PCI-E via Thunderbolt for external displays and the mini-DisplayPort / HDMI port, or you'll need to use a monitor via USB Type C); not sure about this model as I don't own one and don't know how where they wire the displays to, but likely to the NVIDIA chip.

- Have a look at the Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 3 series, which are essentially the same

- Have a look at the Lenovo ThinkPad P15 series (owning a P52 myself), as these aren't muxless, so you can switch, as these aren't muxless and you can switch between graphics in the BIOS / UEFI (NOTE: The NVIDIA chip is required to use PCI-E via Thunderbolt for external displays and the mini-DisplayPort / HDMI port, or you'll need to use a monitor via USB Type C).

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    If we use this ...I admit not quality benchmark
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800H vs AMD Ryzen 7 4800H. Benchmark, Test, Vergleich und Unterschiede zwischen diesen CPUs in Cinebench 23 und Geekbench 5

and extrapolate the same increase for the x800HS the increase would be araount 15% ind singlethread performance for Cinebench. Now it is the question how the intel performes there.

Leave a comment:

• karolherbst
    replied
    nobody cares about single threaded perf...

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by squash View Post

Lenovo briefly made a ThinkBook 13 inch model with 4800u available in the US at a reasonable price and it sold out within a few hours. For just over a grand you can buy a fairly good spec version from an online retailer but 16gb soldered ram is a big frowny face from me. At the price of the one I missed I would have grabbed it anyway...

Rumor is Lenovo got exclusive access to the high end mobile parts in the US market and then just more or less forgot to make any...

also available as 14"

only 4700u;
    The Pangolin is a fast, 16" lightweight laptop powered by AMD CPU & graphics. Pro Right-to-Repair upgradable laptop with lifetime support & Pop!_OS.

Leave a comment:

• squash
    replied
    Originally posted by slavikgenes View Post

Well, there is at least an HP EliteBook with 4750U and some Lenovo models with 4800U w/o dGPU for pretty reasonable money in my location. But it's like a drop in the ocean. It seems that OEMs think that if we want high end part then Nvidia GPU with some CUDA capabilities is a must have. Ignoring that said dGPU increase the price almost by 100%...
    Lenovo briefly made a ThinkBook 13 inch model with 4800u available in the US at a reasonable price and it sold out within a few hours. For just over a grand you can buy a fairly good spec version from an online retailer but 16gb soldered ram is a big frowny face from me. At the price of the one I missed I would have grabbed it anyway...

Rumor is Lenovo got exclusive access to the high end mobile parts in the US market and then just more or less forgot to make any...

Leave a comment:

• remenic
    replied
    Yeah, for up to 10 seconds. After that it throttles like crazy, I bet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X