Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel On Their 11th Gen H35 Processors: "Fastest Single-Threaded Laptop Performance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel On Their 11th Gen H35 Processors: "Fastest Single-Threaded Laptop Performance"

Phoronix: Intel On Their 11th Gen H35 Processors: "Fastest Single-Threaded Laptop Performance"

Intel sent out a news release on Thursday proclaiming their new 11th Gen H35 "Tiger Lake H" processors deliver the "fastest single-threaded laptop performance" thanks to the Core i7 11375H delivering up to 5GHz turbo frequencies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll buy the first one I can get in a laptop without discrete graphics, Cezanne or Tiger Lake-H, doesn't matter to me. Apparently AMD forgot that non-gamers like bleeding edge performance too.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
      I'll buy the first one I can get in a laptop without discrete graphics, Cezanne or Tiger Lake-H, doesn't matter to me. Apparently AMD forgot that non-gamers like bleeding edge performance too.
      This. I've been looking for a laptop with a performant CPU, but they are all 'gaming' laptops with a dGPU. These come with tradeoffs I am just not willing to make.

Comment

#MeToo but after the almost complete lack of availability of AMD's top end low power part (Ryzen 4800u) in the US market in ANY form I'm not expecting the 5800u to be any more real... And I sure don't want to spend more for a dgpu that I have to disable in any case.

Comment

I don't know if I'm understanding how OEMs work correctly, but isn't their decision if a certain model has dGPU or not?

If my assumption is correct, maybe they're thinking that more cores = gaming?

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
            #MeToo but after the almost complete lack of availability of AMD's top end low power part (Ryzen 4800u) in the US market in ANY form I'm not expecting the 5800u to be any more real... And I sure don't want to spend more for a dgpu that I have to disable in any case.
            Well, there is at least an HP EliteBook with 4750U and some Lenovo models with 4800U w/o dGPU for pretty reasonable money in my location. But it's like a drop in the ocean. It seems that OEMs think that if we want high end part then Nvidia GPU with some CUDA capabilities is a must have. Ignoring that said dGPU increase the price almost by 100%...

Comment

I dont think that this is the fault of AMD. OEMs should be called out here.
              If you have 10 intel Options vs 1 AMD Option available, it is of course more likely that one of the 10 Intel Options will fit your needs. in Contrast the chance that you will find the same match as AMD Version will be around 10% (in this example).
              And if I look at Dells Portfolio 50 vs 1 could be even a plausible casescenario.

So knock at the door of the OEMs and blame them. bridgman might have insights who decides about the CPU/GPU combo configurations which later are available on the consumer market.
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 05 February 2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Yeah, for up to 10 seconds. After that it throttles like crazy, I bet.

Comment

Originally posted by slavikgenes View Post

Well, there is at least an HP EliteBook with 4750U and some Lenovo models with 4800U w/o dGPU for pretty reasonable money in my location. But it's like a drop in the ocean. It seems that OEMs think that if we want high end part then Nvidia GPU with some CUDA capabilities is a must have. Ignoring that said dGPU increase the price almost by 100%...
                  Lenovo briefly made a ThinkBook 13 inch model with 4800u available in the US at a reasonable price and it sold out within a few hours. For just over a grand you can buy a fairly good spec version from an online retailer but 16gb soldered ram is a big frowny face from me. At the price of the one I missed I would have grabbed it anyway...

Rumor is Lenovo got exclusive access to the high end mobile parts in the US market and then just more or less forgot to make any...

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post

Lenovo briefly made a ThinkBook 13 inch model with 4800u available in the US at a reasonable price and it sold out within a few hours. For just over a grand you can buy a fairly good spec version from an online retailer but 16gb soldered ram is a big frowny face from me. At the price of the one I missed I would have grabbed it anyway...

Rumor is Lenovo got exclusive access to the high end mobile parts in the US market and then just more or less forgot to make any...

also available as 14"

only 4700u;
                    The Pangolin is a fast, 16" lightweight laptop powered by AMD CPU & graphics. Pro Right-to-Repair upgradable laptop with lifetime support & Pop!_OS.

Comment

Working...
                    X