Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZaReason Linux PC Vendor Closes After More Than A Decade Of Selling Linux Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    I thought the Linux community is not full of Trumpist...but it seems Idiots everywhere
    The facts have little to do with Trump!

The place I work at is directly involved in the health care industry. Every infection and exposure is tracked and so far nobody has died. What people seem to misunderstand is that I’m not saying Covid is not contagious, it is actually pretty bad in that regard. What I’m saying is that the real death rate is not as bad as many believe. It certainly hasn’t justified some of the measures in place. Many of those measures happened too late to do any good also.

Comment

As others have said - I don't really buy Covid as a reason, unless they were absolutely struggling to get the components they needed. PC sales have apparently been through the roof this year! I'm going to bet it's mainly an exposure/marketing thing. I've seen System76 all around the web - I've never heard of ZaReason until just now. I'm not saying me not know about something means they didn't advertise - but you'd think I'd come across a mention of them at least once on the many tech sites I visit or through some random YouTuber.

It's also possible business was okay, and they're closing down for personal reasons (covid illness or death?).
      Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      You need to look into the matter a bit more before calling me or anybody else a liar. The fact is this pandemic isn’t any worse than a really bad flu season.
      A "really bad" flu season would have ~60,000 deaths, and ~800,000 hospitalizations. An average flu season would be around ~400,000 hospitalizations and 35,000 deaths. We are achieving those "really bad" death numbers every 20 days, and we're sitting at ~580,000 Covid hospitalizations with 3-4 months left to complete the "season" when this started. Just look at hospitals and morgue capacity. Many states are now setting up field hospitals because hospitals are reaching capacity again. Many areas in Texas now have mobile morgues setup - literally trailers full of dead bodies because they can't be processed fast enough. This is not "normal flu season" stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind
        Please stop repeating propaganda.
        Even according to recently published official CDC numbers, the infection fatality ratios are as follows (probability of death IF INFECTED):
        0-19 years - 0.00003% (1 in 3333333 chance)
        20-49 - 0.0002% (1 in 500000)
        50-69 - 0.005% (1 in 20000)
        70+ - 0.054% (1 in 1852)
        It depends on how you interpret his statement "keeping alive". I mean: there are also quite a few people that didn't die from COVID-19, but have permanent organ damage now. That's not exactly a great way to live.
        Last edited by Vistaus; 06 December 2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
          A casualty due to covid? That sounds completely illogical. Covid is one of the best things that happened to laptop hardware vendors, because it allowed them to make big business because of the massive WFH that came with it.
          Tell that to the Californian government that issued a full covid lockdown on the town they are based in (Berkeley). Good luck getting to the office and parts in and out when it's not allowed. You're right that that's only part of why they went out of business, but it didn't really help that they weren't allowed to do business anymore by the government due to covid...
          Last edited by Vistaus; 06 December 2020, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind
            Please stop repeating propaganda.
            Even according to recently published official CDC numbers, the infection fatality ratios are as follows (probability of death IF INFECTED):
            0-19 years - 0.00003% (1 in 3333333 chance)
            20-49 - 0.0002% (1 in 500000)
            50-69 - 0.005% (1 in 20000)
            70+ - 0.054% (1 in 1852)
            You are either ignorant, or an idiot. Pick your poison.

What you are claiming here is disrespectful to all the people who lost relatives. Let me take your math.

Suppose that all of the US population is 70+ and suppose that ALL of the US got infected. Using your illiterate numbers you get roughly ~177,000 deaths.

We are well above that. Now go back and think about it. Even in the worst case scenario, using your numbers, I can't even get to the current death rate.

I see that 6 other idiots upvoted you. This is extremely depressing. Go do basic math people.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Tell that to the Californian government that issued a full covid lockdown on the town they are based in (Berkely). Good luck getting to the office and parts in and out when it's not allowed.
              They closed down weeks ago, just before Thanksgiving.

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
              You are either ignorant, or an idiot. Pick your poison.

I see that 6 other idiots upvoted you. This is extremely depressing. Go do basic math people.
              Name calling and personal attacks/insults don't help your point. It just brings you down to their level. Stay respectful and take apart their arguments with facts and figures.

Comment

You need to look into the matter a bit more before calling me or anybody else a liar. The fact is this pandemic isn’t any worse than a really bad flu season.
                I have no idea if you are a liar, but you clearly do have trouble recognizing and comprehending elementary arithmetic, much less basic scientific and social realities.

Back in October, Professor Andrew Stanley Pekosz of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health said this in response to the assertion that Covid-19 is similar to the flu:
                Since December 2019, COVID-19 has killed more people in the U.S. than influenza has in the last five years.

Influenza is a significant burden on the population, but COVID-19 has had a vastly larger effect.
                Since October, the situation has only gotten much, much worse. We could see 540,000 dead Americans by April next year.

Comment

Care enough to give one example of such a really bad flu season? I mean apart from the really, really bad one 1918/19. If that is what you had in mind... nevermind, technically, you are correct.

Comment

It really doesn’t matter who’s numbers are being used here they all support the fact that Covids fatality rate is no different that a really bad flu season.
                    3 percent fatality of infected is above a normal flu.

Bad flu year global is 650,000 people die per year. Covid-19 has exceed 1,509,141 dead in a single year.

Wizard69 Covid-19 is at least twice as bad as a normal bad flu season. Please note that 650,000 people dead in a bad flu year with no lock downs or attempts to contain. So covid-19 is way worse like it or not. Covid-19 is in pandemic class flu level Covid-19 fact its death rate is higher than all pandemic class flu. We still do not understand how many are going to die down the track due to Covid-19 caused heart and brain problems.

Wizard there are no numbers in existence that support the idea that Covid-19 is as bad as a really bad flu season. Tones of numbers support worse than a really bad flu season. Something is really scary when its numbers are in fact than pandemic class flu.

Comment

Society isn't suffering so much from Covid but rather much of the nonsense that has been created due the illness. The lock downs have done nothing for us for example, mainly because they where implemented way too late to do any real good. Beyond that the actually death rate is no worse than a really bad flue season, so there really is no justification for the hysteria over Covid.

More importantly, unless Covid killed off the principles of the company, there is really no reason to blame covid for this companies failure. The reality is the demand for PC's, IT infrastructure is really at its highest point in years.
                      Swedes tried to spring without lock-downs. Lost twice as many people to covid-19 than neighbouring countries + wave lasted longer and borders with Sweden were kept closed longer. In the end they decided that keeping society open is WORSE than closing it down. Restrictions are in place since the end of November.

Facts speak for themselves. Yeah, economy as a whole suffering, excepting some niches which experience insane growth. PC industry among them - quarantined people have much more incentive to spend that time SOMEHOW and PC market is on the rise as result.

Comment

Working...
                      X