Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Bringing Out "Pangolin" As An AMD Renoir Linux Laptop

Phoronix: System76 Bringing Out "Pangolin" As An AMD Renoir Linux Laptop

Ever since AMD has been on a stellar trajectory with their hardware, users have been begging System76 to release an AMD Linux laptop... That's now finally coming with their upcoming Pangolin launch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be nice to know what the base config is for the $850 and what the upgrade costs are.

Comment

Having bought a system76 laptop in the past, i wish they would stop rebranding Clevo laptops, they're really crap quality. I broke 3 screw mounts in the case just upgrading the memory in mine.

Comment

Since they're all about 🐂, it'll be some 🐂💩 if the base config doesn't come with 2 sticks of 🐏

Comment

Would really like to support them but can't justify shelling out Thinkpad money for a Clevo rebrand with no support locally.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
            Having bought a system76 laptop in the past, i wish they would stop rebranding Clevo laptops, they're really crap quality. I broke 3 screw mounts in the case just upgrading the memory in mine.
            See this response from a System76 dev to accusations copy pasta Clevo rebranding.

What ends up happening, then, is that Sager and/or Clevo offer a machine with a similar-looking chassis for sale as a barebones laptop. This is the result partially of the decision making System76 has made for what to produce in the first place. These products, however, do not contain any of the firmware or driver work that System76 has invested in. They do benefit from the nice photography and advertising System76 has done, and since they look similar, people assume they're going to get the same machine for cheaper "directly from the manufacturer."

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post

See this response from a System76 dev to accusations copy pasta Clevo rebranding.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme..._with/ddvcx45/
              They can say what they want, the hardware doesn't lie...

Code:
              gazelle ~ # lspci -v | grep CLEVO
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HD Graphics 630
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Thermal Subsystem
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HM170/QM170 Chipset SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
              Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port
              Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HM175 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Power Management Controller
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer CM238 HD Audio Controller
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SMBus
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer RTL8411B PCI Express Card Reader
              Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Comment

They can say what they want, the hardware doesn't lie...

Code:
                gazelle ~ # lspci -v | grep CLEVO
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HD Graphics 630
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Thermal Subsystem
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HM170/QM170 Chipset SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HM175 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Power Management Controller
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer CM238 HD Audio Controller
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SMBus
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer RTL8411B PCI Express Card Reader
                Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                Thanks! You're an hero!!!

Comment

What do you expect? They build a own factory? It seems they have a own acpi implementation (and coreboot support?), compared to others its really a lot. They must rebrand what is offered to be rebranded. Or some rich guy want to sponsor a production line just for some geeks ...

Comment

Originally posted by camel_case View Post

What do you expect? They build a own factory?
                    They said they were going to build their own systems from scratch, still waiting... (okay, maybe they made the mobo to the thelio, but why would i buy a desktop when i can build one myself with a gigabyte/asus motherboard)

edit: and coreboot means nothing to me, why would i boot a linux kernel to boot my linux kernel... standard efi works just fine.
                    Last edited by some_canuck; 03 December 2020, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X