Tiger Lake + Renoir On Ubuntu Linux For Battery vs. AC Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
    Looking at the final geometic mean graph it is pretty clear that what Intel claims about AMD, is true for Intel itself

Since when on battery the trade off between performance and power consumption IS important, I still profoundly miss the power figures which may tell the whole story.
    There are some power consumption rate figures on battery on the last page, but diving more into the power figures between these two particular notebooks isn't too worthwhile when they are very different notebooks / classes of notebooks.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Whoah!
      I just ran Geekbench5 on my Lenovo X13 with a Ryzen 4750U Pro and an Ubuntu 20.10.

Gives me
      on battery: 825/4968
      on AC: 1201/5665

Never thought that the impact would be that big - particularly with the single core performance where I assume the max frequency is seriously capped.

When comparing the figures to my Ryzen 3600 with a single core score of around 1300 or my 3700X (1350) this is really impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There are some power consumption rate figures on battery on the last page, but diving more into the power figures between these two particular notebooks isn't too worthwhile when they are very different notebooks / classes of notebooks.
        I think it is important: if we don't know what is the ratio of power consumption in AC power vs. Battery we don't know if the lowest frequency is a way to get better battery lifetime or it is not. Maybe the Intel system is consuming the battery 2x faster than the AMD system but we don't know.

Of course they are very different spec laptops, but if we see that the Intel system is consuming 30 Watts and AMD system is consuming 20 Watts during battery workload, we can certainly say that there is nothing wrong with lower performance of the AMD system, because it is just doing what it supposed to do in battery mode: consume less.

Comment

Wait, so Intel was right, the AMD chips are lowering performance of their GPU on battery, but look at those CPU benchmarks for Intel, they're lowering the performance of the CPU on battery! Oops. If I had to pick on which to nerf on battery, it certainly wouldn't be CPU performance--which everything relies on.
          Last edited by willmore; 24 November 2020, 01:35 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

Hello,

maybe someone commented it, but: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...lay-heres-why/

Br,

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
              Whoah!
              I just ran Geekbench5 on my Lenovo X13 with a Ryzen 4750U Pro and an Ubuntu 20.10.

Gives me
              on battery: 825/4968
              on AC: 1201/5665

Never thought that the impact would be that big - particularly with the single core performance where I assume the max frequency is seriously capped.

When comparing the figures to my Ryzen 3600 with a single core score of around 1300 or my 3700X (1350) this is really impressive.
              Your 3700X can do better https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3870037

Comment

I think the only valid conclusion is that it is complete hodgepodge. In practice, performance on battery doesn't really depend much on CPU manufacturer at all, but whatever the machine vendor implements in the firmware. And as usual, the firmware behaviour is badly documented or completely undocumented and the firmware itself is often buggy, too.

Comment

Wish Intel stopped trying to convince us that their products are "better" and started doing things in order to improve their value until they are able to release their new CPUs (you know Intel, like reducing your prices).

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    He does. Tells your puny 3700X a lesson in multicore performance! (I'll try a re-run - this one is really stale.)
                    Benchmark results for a To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M. with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X processor.

Comment

So Intel is full of shit then but we knew this anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X