Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel: AMD Weak On Battery-Powered Laptop Performance - But DPTF On Linux Still Suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are quite a few Tigerlake reviews in the net and indeed the performance difference between AC and battery mode seems to be (surprisingly) low in most of them. If AMD prefers a bigger slow down in favour of a longer battery life time Intel has a point. I mean usually all performance tests are done in AC mode and battery life tests obviously in battery mode. This is something to look at it in future tests.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      I'm by no means an Intel fan, but actually Intel did accomplish that goal, at least superficially... Netburst architecture used integer units running at twice the core clock and the core clock got up to the mid-4ghz range, so yeah those integer units got to nearly 10ghz...
      you are also not a reality fan. what twice the clock? do you also believe in tv 1200 hz?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        you are also not a reality fan. what twice the clock? do you also believe in tv 1200 hz?
        And you are also not a fan of reading apparently... Let me just re-quote what I've already quoted...

http://www.ecs.umass.edu/ece/koren/e...s/Pentium4.pdf

The processor does ALU operations with an effective latency of one-half of a clock cycle. It does this operation in a sequence of three fast clock cycles (the fast clock runs at 2x the main clock rate) as shown in Figure 7. In the first fast clock cycle, the low order 16-bits are computed and are immediately available to feed the low 16-bits of a dependent operation the very next fast clock cycle. The high-order 16 bits are processed in the next fast cycle, using the carry out just generated by the low 16-bit operation. This upper 16-bit result will be available to the next dependent operation exactly when needed

Comment

I can get up to 10 hours on my ASUS Zephyrus G14 wile still having desktop level performance when connected to AC. And this is the same on Windows.
          Marketing will not fix you CPU-s Intel :P.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            And you are also not a fan of reading apparently
            i've read your marketing material. and replied with 1200 hz tv. you can continue your quest for truth here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_...urrent_records

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie

Oh to have paranoid schizophrenia (I don't know that feel but you sure do).

...and speaking of brain-dead, mouth-breathing, room-temperature-IQ types--

Caught one !!

You don't know "...that feel..."? You obviously don't know basic grammar, either. Perhaps you need to employ the services of someone who graduated from Junior High School to proof your "offerings" before putting your stupidity and idiocy on display. On second thought--just keep doing what you're doing; the entertainment is...different.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i've read your marketing material. and replied with 1200 hz tv. you can continue your quest for truth here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_...urrent_records
                I never said anything about a TV, that was you... Duh...

This is what you just did...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

They are comparing gaming laptops powered by AC. It looks like you haven't really checked the Intel findings we're discussing here.
                  They are also briefly going over thermals and battery life in part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8SAAk_J4c
                  I did go over Intels finding and take it with a large grain of salt. Hardware Unboxed as a rerviewer is way more unbiased.

Comment

Linux always had crap power management compared to Windows.

On a Skylake laptop with Power Saving enabled for Windows, intel_pstate + igpu frequencies locked to lowest on Fedora, and with brightness dialed down to 10%, i got slightly more than five hours of use out of the battery in Windows 10 compared to about 3.5 hours on Fedora.

Comment

Ugh, danmcgrew. I hereby agree with you regarding the SJW matter, but the nitpick and your unflattering rhetoric has caused the thread to tremble and crumble the bond with the front page's unfurl.

The peasants who crave this auditorium are lost in turmoil... :<
                      Last edited by tildearrow; 23 November 2020, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X