Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Further Exploring The Intel Tiger Lake Core i7-1165G7 Performance On Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    You're right the overall results haven't changed much but individual benchmark scores have changed significantly.

Again, please explore in your future articles:
    • The amount of energy required to complete a task (I'm interested in: x264/x265 encoding, compiling and rendering)
    • Overall separate results for single-threaded and multi-threaded workloads
    • Power consumption for e.g. watching youtube videos
    • Idle power consumption
    • s2idle power consumption
    Thank you.
    Your please-and-thank-yous aren't fooling anyone into thinking you're actually being polite.

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    Yes. Chalk another one up to "Scaling in software"?
    Sounds nice on paper but man is it ALWAYS broken in some sense.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    For those interested here is the rumoured AMD response line-up to tiger lake,

With Ryzen 5000 for Desktop now in line with the mobile part numbering, let's talk just that, the mobile parts. You'd think the Mobile 5000 series will be based on ZEN3 compete as well, as it turns ...

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

The results aren't 'wrong' at all, that is the performance currently seen on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS as found when installing Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or even out-of-the-box with Dell's own system image.
    You're right the overall results haven't changed much but individual benchmark scores have changed significantly.

Again, please explore in your future articles:
    • The amount of energy required to complete a task (I'm interested in: x264/x265 encoding, compiling and rendering)
    • Overall separate results for single-threaded and multi-threaded workloads
    • Power consumption for e.g. watching youtube videos
    • Idle power consumption
    • s2idle power consumption
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Michael

I guess you want to retract or apologize in your previous (performance review) article because it has completely wrong results.

Even with the new kernel performance is still all over the place.

As always Linux sucks terribly in terms of supporting brand new hardware (unlike vehemently hated here NVIDIA which offers full relatively bug-free support on day one for its new products while AMD and Intel open source drivers take months to iron out serious issues).
    The results aren't 'wrong' at all, that is the performance currently seen on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS as found when installing Ubuntu 20.04 LTS or even out-of-the-box with Dell's own system image.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Michael

I guess you want to retract or apologize in your previous (performance review) article because it has completely wrong results. However even with the new kernel performance is still all over the place.

As always Linux sucks terribly in terms of supporting brand new hardware (unlike vehemently hated here NVIDIA which offers full relatively bug-free support on day one for its new products while AMD and Intel open source drivers take months to iron out serious issues). I remember it took a year (!) for Linux to add proper support for deep power save mode for mobile Sky Lake CPUs.
    Last edited by birdie; 19 October 2020, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    thanks for the investigation, while now the main brokenness is fixed on 20.10 the new problems make it just a bit better overall which is a damn shame

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied
    This is great, thank you Michael (I'll send you a tip later today). Especially interesting is the comparison against Renoir, which it seems still has the edge over intel.

It remains to be seen whether further optimizations are still necessary on the intel side. Whatever the case, if I were to buy a laptop/pc today it would be Ryzen for sure.
    Last edited by franglais125; 19 October 2020, 12:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Further Exploring The Intel Tiger Lake Core i7-1165G7 Performance On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Further Exploring The Intel Tiger Lake Core i7-1165G7 Performance On Ubuntu Linux

Last week I published initial benchmarks of the Intel Core i7 1165G7 "Tiger Lake" performance on Linux with the Dell XPS 13 9310 Developer Edition laptop. Of most surprise from those preliminary Linux figures were finding that for some single-threaded workloads the performance was actually worse than the previous generation Ice Lake. Since then I've been running more tests around the clock with some interesting discoveries to note today. It is possible to enhance the single-threaded performance so it's performing better than Ice Lake as would be expected, but comes with lowering the multi-threaded performance compared to the results shared last week.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X