No announcement yet.

Intel Core i7 1165G7 "Tiger Lake" Linux Performance With The Dell XPS 13 9310

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I care not how this does against Ryzen unlike many here. I care how it does againt the Intel 630 and if it works with Trisquel. Intel GPUs are usually libre enough to work on FSF distros and hopefully continue to do so.

Comment

What about hardware support? Is anything still broken/unsupported with Linux 5.9? What about Thunderbolt 4, and PCIe Gen 4? Is USB4 supported? Wifi working/speed? Does everything work well (I think there were some issues with Thunderbolt on previous generations)?
      Although rather small, it's nice to see that my financial support dedicated for Tiger Lake in addition to Phoronix Premium is seeing some reward
      Last edited by darkdragon-001; 17 October 2020, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

The HP Tigerlakes are all 250 nits as well.
        Yep, but price is not $1349 like this Dell, but half of it.

Comment

Would be nice to see how this APU compares to previous Generations (and Renoir) in terms of performance per watt (especially under typical light workloads or idle). I reallyhope Intel can yield better battery life with HOBL enabled compared to Renoir otherwise I see no reason to buy this overpriced piece of silicon.

Comment

Originally posted by mikkl View Post

Check the test, it isn't boosting to 4.7 Ghz. It boost up to 3100 Mhz which is laughable.
            Check my comment again. Maybe read it entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Check my comment again. Maybe read it entirely.

You mean this?

Overall it looks like the 10nm+ node for Intel is still broken

Once again, check the test. This device boosts only up to 3.1 Ghz even in light singlethread workloads, this issue has nothing to do with 10SF. There is something wrong with the power management from the device or Linux, it is completely broken in this test. A test on Windows would clear it up if it's Linux related or not. Furthermore 10+ is Icelake, 10SF (previously 10++) is Tigerlake node.

Comment

what are the vulnerabilities and is it faster with them disabled?

uname -r && cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/ && grep . *

Comment

I hope Dell does an XPS with ryzen next year. The device is really well built, but the perf is not really premium. It's just a better 2D Chromebook. Maybe when the Zen 3 6800u rolls around, they'll consider a less regressive build option.

When the 4800u dropped, that was the curtain call. And it'll only get worse with the 20% Zen 3 arch uplift. I know AMD doesn't kick back as much as Intel, but it doesn't matter if your sales are a degrading plateau.

Comment

Sometimes I might insist a staff member prepare an executive summary of these benchtests. Readers comments seem not so useful this time. The AMD CPU is famed for not allowing external GPU. If screen brightness (nits), 4k or 8k display is wanted, then Intel CPU is needed.
                    On lightweight notebooks or laptops, power used by the CPU & GPU is important. Power forces fan cooling, battery depletion and other discomforts. With so many confusing proprietary names, it can be assumed perhaps that AMD chips are better at power efficiency, but by how much?
                    On the price differences per unit, these are not significant if other performance features are so very different. Is this the case here?

Comment

> If screen brightness (nits), 4k or 8k display is wanted, then Intel CPU is needed
                      CPU has almost nothing to do with all of these actually.
                      GPU has nothing to do with brightness.
                      The price/performance difference is very significant if you have some tasks other than peering into bright 8K browser all the day.

Comment

Working...
                      X