Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu Focus M2 Launched As Latest KDE-Friendly Laptop

Phoronix: Kubuntu Focus M2 Launched As Latest KDE-Friendly Laptop

Launched at the start of the year was the Kubuntu Focus as a polished KDE laptop while now it's been succeeded by a second-generation model...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do these people even understand their market ?
    From the two choices on the CPU side they chose the bad one.
    From the two choices on the GPU side they chose the bad one.
    From the three choices as customers to sell it to they chose the worst one.
    How can anyone think to sell this kind of laptop to a tech savvy Linux user ?

I would not use a Intel + Nvidia computer even if they gave it for free and then payed me to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I would not use a Intel + Nvidia computer even if they gave it for free and then payed me to use it.
      I think they understand their users very well.
      Mobile Ryzen cpus are better, and I absolutely want to see more of them around, but Intel are not bad.
      On the gpu side I don't think they really had a choice. Nvidia works better both on Linux and Windows.
      By the way if I wanted an unix-like workstation with Intel+AMD I'd just buy a macbook pro 16. At least it's prettier

Comment

They wrote:

We'd love to offer a Ryzen system, however, available laptop configuration are thin on the ground right now. It's premature to have that as a differentiating factor. At present, our Focus is tightly tuned Hardware + Software combination that reliable, beautiful, and self-explanatory. We will be offering some interesting support features we don't believe have been seen before.

Comment

Lets hope next year will be the year of the AMD laptop

Comment

Still waiting for any linux friendly model with native triple monitor out support..

Comment

What surprises me the most is their choice of Nvidia gpu which is the most problematic with KDE among all the desktop environments. You know, horrible screen tearing, performance problems, etc..

Comment

LOL. Seriously how many times you seen mobile AMD full sized gpu? Thing is RTX 2xxx is still way more energy efficient in mobile platforms and is way better tested. About new AMD Ryzen CPUs idk how well mobile 4xxx is tested in linux enviroment, while Intel always gives you drivers few months ahead. And how it corresponds to Kubuntu 20.04 (that doesn't have newest kernel). You know nothing of "worst one". Worst one is the one you cannot provide support for and Kubuntu kinda cannot.

Comment

The base model for the Kubuntu Focus M2 includes 16GB of DDR4-3200 RAM, 250GB NVMe storage, and RTX 2060 graphics while costing $1795 USD. Upgrades are available up to 64GB of RAM, up to RTX 2080 graphics, and up to two M.2 SSDs. The laptop is only available in a 15.6-inch 1080p display
                  Specs not so high, price not so low . Humble 1080p display, not so UHD

Comment

Kubuntu + Nvidia = Horrible combination for KDE users

It's the worst KDE distribution and the worst GPU brand to use with KDE. I anticipate their users to have stellar and phenomenal experiences.

Comment

Working...
                    X