Better Support For Newer Synaptics Laptop Touchpads Coming To Linux 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Support For Newer Synaptics Laptop Touchpads Coming To Linux 5.10

Phoronix: Better Support For Newer Synaptics Laptop Touchpads Coming To Linux 5.10

Synaptics has contributed RMI4 F3A support for Linux 5.10 to better the support for newer laptop touchpads...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AFAIK from all touchpad gestures you can only use one finger (left click) and two fingers (right click) on Linux.

Comment

Thinkpad X1 user here, I was amazed when kernel 5.0 was released all my touchpad issues were fixed

Comment

"A Synaptics engineer contributed the F3A support and a follow up patch to help support recent Lenovo ThinkPads."

That follow up patch is from me, and I am not a Synaptics engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post
          "A Synaptics engineer contributed the F3A support and a follow up patch to help support recent Lenovo ThinkPads."

That follow up patch is from me, and I am not a Synaptics engineer.
          Thank you for your contribution! It would be nice if Michael would update this article...

For a second I thought that some hardware company voluntarily resigned from creating third-party drivers with integrated bloatware/spyware applications (so called "telemetry"). For example these all icons in Windows tray menu that are duplicating system functions (third-party app for touchpad, third-party app for GPU, third-party app for soundcard, etc.)...

I very glad that Linux is free from this bloatware/spyware. In Windows it is real plague - especially that Microsoft started promote and install these bloatware packed "drivers" even without user knowledge via forced Microsoft Update services...

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
            AFAIK from all touchpad gestures you can only use one finger (left click) and two fingers (right click) on Linux.
            For this particular driver or in general? Because I've been able to 3-finger click and 2-finger swipe for years. I forget if I ever had 2-finger pinch working but I hardly ever care to use that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
              Gestures should have nothing to do with this patch. I certainly have many more gestures working here (including three-finger tap for middle click, two-finger swipe for scrolling and even pinch-to-zoom in evince).

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Thank you for your contribution! It would be nice if Michael would update this article...

For a second I thought that some hardware company voluntarily resigned from creating third-party drivers with integrated bloatware/spyware applications (so called "telemetry"). For example these all icons in Windows tray menu that are duplicating system functions (third-party app for touchpad, third-party app for GPU, third-party app for soundcard, etc.)...

I very glad that Linux is free from this bloatware/spyware. In Windows it is real plague - especially that Microsoft started promote and install these bloatware packed "drivers" even without user knowledge via forced Microsoft Update services...
                I get so F'N tired of having to remove Candy Crush off my Windows 10 install. If I can't keep a G-D game from staying uninstalled I feel like there's no way I can keep up with removing Microsoft Provided Malware. These Patch Tuesday shenanigans really piss me off.

Comment

Now if only ELON touchpads would work the same way

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Gestures should have nothing to do with this patch. I certainly have many more gestures working here (including three-finger tap for middle click, two-finger swipe for scrolling and even pinch-to-zoom in evince).
                    I don't see any of those on Ubuntu touchpad settings.

Comment

Working...
                    X