Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dell XPS With Intel Tiger Lake + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Goes On Sale - Benchmarks Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    $1250 for a quad core machine?

Man, the bastards at AMD had spoiled us...
    Well it also contains a very nice GPU that can compete with some other mobile dGPUs.
    dGPUs. I think that adds significantly to the cost (plus ultrabooks being expensive, especially from business laptop makers like Dell and Lenovo).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by lowlands View Post

Until you open Slack and your RAM goes p00f and the apps that actually matter come to a stand still
    Or if you're developing using Android Studio - Android GUI IDE + Gradle daemon + emulator + a few browser windows/tabs - all of this definitely exceeds 8 GB of RAM.

And my laptop RAM is soldered . Now I regret not getting 16 GB in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• dylanmtaylor
    replied
    Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

In that price range most laptops are monsters, if you want class go down to 700$ for 4800H without dedicated GPU + 1tb + 16GB and way better screen.

That price tag of 1200$ is idiot gauging, with those specs it should come a disability certificate for the buyer
    It's really not that unreasonable. For very good quality I'd pay twice that. I'm very happy with my Precision 5540, and it's not exactly a cheap system.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Well, writing this from a very well monetized 9 years old Asus machine, the bling-bling monster you're talking about is for Kevins, not for pondered consumers looking for a minimum of class.
    In that price range most laptops are monsters, if you want class go down to 700$ for 4800H without dedicated GPU + 1tb + 16GB and way better screen.

That price tag of 1200$ is idiot gauging, with those specs it should come a disability certificate for the buyer

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    Dell is the only American compay to offer a linux glass/metal body laptop. Linus Torvalds has/had a Dell laptop. But dell offers next to no customization (RAM/OLED/AMD).

I assume 11th gen intel will get hotter and make more fan noise than the 7nm AMD...

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by jntesteves View Post

The only thing I take from your list is the extra RAM for my containers. Don't need any of the rest. Of course, I wouldn't leave Ubuntu also, I develop on Fedora. But having bought computers with Windows my whole life, I really don't care what comes in it, as long as it's not Windows that should be fine.
    Plus, let's stop already with trackpoints and physical buttons for clicks. They get in the way and can trigger random and unexpected behaviours when barely grazed over. These days, gestures on touchpads with combination of fingers movements are very efficient and make buttons outdated.

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    Jesus, in that price you get this monster that is at almost twice as fast, 1TB SSD and 16GB ram

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-7-4800H-...39&sr=8-3&th=1

Intel + DELL marketing as it best, whoever priced that laptop should fired ...
    Well, writing this from a very well monetized 9 years old Asus machine, the bling-bling monster you're talking about is for Kevins, not for pondered consumers looking for a minimum of class.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Jesus, in that price you get this monster that is at almost twice as fast, 1TB SSD and 16GB ram

Intel + DELL marketing as it best, whoever priced that laptop should fired ...

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    1000+ dollars with that specs ??? you really have to hate your money to buy this

In that price range you can probably get an 4800H with at least a 1650 GPU

Leave a comment:

• lyamc
    replied
    Windows, without running anything sits at 3GB RAM + 3GB cached. Anyone want to check their distro for used RAM?

Opening Brave Browser with 10 tabs, all with images and JavaScript, and one YouTube video tab is 800MB RAM on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Non-expandable RAM. Why do we still have this crap? I do understand when Apple does that because they've always loved to fuck their customers over, but other vendors? No idea.

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
    8GB RAM is plenty for a linux machine
    You may want to start to speak for yourself only. For some people 128GB for a desktop PC is not enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X