Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Independent Developers Tackling Snapdragon 630/660 SoC Support For The Upstream Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bemerk
    replied
    People are using the "SoC" bringup to bring up individual devices as well. They write new drivers, port drivers from the official old sources and fix up devicetrees to be included in the linux kernel.
    So the only "problem" would be firmware that needs an official vendor sign-off to be included as well.
    Even if that doesn't happen it is still a lot easier to use Custom ROMs and Linux on these devices compared to the amount of work before.

Leave a comment:

• villeneuve
    replied
    Then problem is when you got the SoC working in Linux it doesn't mean the device will become useable for anything since most often WLAN, modem, sounds, touch etc. don't work. The amount of e-waste and with that the huge waste of natural resources is a desaster that should've long been stopped by regulators.

Leave a comment:

• bemerk
    replied
    The last comparison from developers working on that topic has been a while. But as you can see with
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...lose-Linux-5.9
    we are close for many devices if the manufacturer decides to rebase.

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Have you actually ever diffed the sources for Motorola or LG kernels with upstream Linux of the same version? They've never diffed cleanly.
    No, exactly.

Leave a comment:

• nokipaike
    replied
    damn just for a while my old snapdragon 400 was missed (it's a cortex a7) but in the list i went to check there was a cover from snapdragon 630 to snap dragon 410 ... you understand i got excited and depressed in 10 seconds hehehe

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by bemerk View Post
    Also will be easier to work with once AOSP rebases to 5.9 or higher.
    That'll be a great day.

With Google's current pace, I can't wait for Android 37 to come out

Leave a comment:

• bemerk
    replied
    If it is fully feature and speed compatible with the old downstream kernel.
    Also will be easier to work with once AOSP rebases to 5.9 or higher.

Leave a comment:

• topolinik
    replied
    On GSMArena, when searching for just Snapdragon 630+660 SoCs you get 62 phones (includind mine, great!), this will be great for XDA people!

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Spam View Post
    Linux doesn't load drivers/mods made for earlier kernels. This is a big issue in Linux...
    it's a big issue with stupid windows slaves like you. with linux it is one of its advantages
    If they had a stable interface for drivers we could have had much
    worse linux. just use any other inferior kernel with stable interfaces and keep your hands off linux
    Last edited by pal666; 27 September 2020, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Right, that's why we all can run our old phones with new OS on them?

Stable interface is what we have in Windows Driver Model, where a driver will work for a very very long time. This is severely lacking. Have you tried to load a kernel module from an older kernel? How often does that work?
    Have you actually ever diffed the sources for Motorola or LG kernels with upstream Linux of the same version? They've never diffed cleanly. I'm using Motorola and LG in that example because I've done that with the kernel sources released for the Motorola Bravo, Defy, and Atrix HD as well as the LG G3 and V20. I used to be big into roms and porting them to my phones.

I haven't bothered with my Motorola G8 Power since I have to void the warranty to unlock the bootloader. GRRRRR.

I wonder how much these bootloader tied to warranty policies stifle innovation?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X