Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Independent Developers Tackling Snapdragon 630/660 SoC Support For The Upstream Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Developers Tackling Snapdragon 630/660 SoC Support For The Upstream Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Independent Developers Tackling Snapdragon 630/660 SoC Support For The Upstream Linux Kernel

Qualcomm's Snapdragon 660 is approaching four years old and the Snapdragon 630 a bit younger than that, but these mobile phone SoCs may soon find renewed life on the upstream Linux kernel thanks to the work of community developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for covering this

It's also worth to mention that the patch series enables support for SDM636 (a mildly cut-down 660) and possibly SDM658 (*literally* 660 with 2 cores disabled), though nobody has the hardware to test the latter one.

Comment

I got really excited, then I realized my phone has a 665. Now I has , though optimistic about the future

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I got really excited, then I realized my phone has a 665. Now I has , though optimistic about the future
        Sony has a device with sm6125 (SDM665) so in future it will at 99% run mainline when we get to that platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Haxk20 View Post

Sony has a device with sm6125 (SDM665) so in future it will at 99% run mainline when we get to that platform.
          Nice. Thanks for the response.

Comment

Nice work by all these people and companies involved.
            Too bad that there is close to no work done on other SoCs than Qualcomms Snapdragon.
            I guess that limits the possible mobile devices one can buy safely in the future

Comment

The fairphone 3 is running the 632 snapdragon. I hope it will be supported by linux, an ethical phone with a nice OS would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
                Nice work by all these people and companies involved.
                Too bad that there is close to no work done on other SoCs than Qualcomms Snapdragon.
                I guess that limits the possible mobile devices one can buy safely in the future
                No companies were involved.
                It is only the community developers.

Comment

For this particular soc, but in general for current Qualcomm socs you see linaro, Google, Qualcomm and other companies posting patches.
                  Too bad that Samsung isn't working harder on Exynos and Hisilicon could also do more for Kirin.
                  For these the community isn't there either in visible quantities.
                  Last edited by bemerk; 27 September 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

isn't it ironic how the big silicon companies do a sh1t for linux support and it's up to volunteers to clean the mess up, reverse engineer missing bits and bring it upstream?

Comment

Working...
                    X