Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo Announces 27 Systems To Ship With Ubuntu Pre-Installed

Phoronix: Lenovo Announces 27 Systems To Ship With Ubuntu Pre-Installed

Following Lenovo rolling out Fedora Linux options for their laptops and their other Linux-related announcements this year, Lenovo and Canonical are announcing today nearly thirty different laptops and desktops will begin shipping with the option for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS pre-installed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dell's footsteps. Good move. Been buying Dell linux for the last 5 years for business(and personal), because the derps making thinkpads couldn't pronounce it, much less support it. Hope they ramp up support to follow the OS image they plopped on there.

Comment

Great to see the T in there.
      Of course, I'd get rid of Ubuntu asap, but as long as it works with Ubuntu, it will work with your favorite distro just as well.

Comment

Still can't find a good replacement for my Thinkpad X230. Tried an X280 but sold it because I kept losing the (proprietary to Lenovo) Ethernet dongle. I thought this and the soldered RAM thing were to make the chassis thinner? The Thinkpad L13 is thicker but still uses soldered RAM and requires the special (and lose-able) Ethernet dongle. If they're trying to copy the Macbook I'm not sure what they're thinking... Consumers who want a Macbook are going to buy a Macbook, not a Thinkpad with Macbook-inspired lack of ports and lack of ability to repair/replace components

Comment

I grabbed the T14 Ryzen 7 in a flash sale (yet to be shipped). So I take this as a guarantee that everything will work just fine with the upcoming Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by swagg_boi View Post
            Still can't find a good replacement for my Thinkpad X230. Tried an X280 but sold it because I kept losing the (proprietary to Lenovo) Ethernet dongle. I thought this and the soldered RAM thing were to make the chassis thinner? The Thinkpad L13 is thicker but still uses soldered RAM and requires the special (and lose-able) Ethernet dongle. If they're trying to copy the Macbook I'm not sure what they're thinking... Consumers who want a Macbook are going to buy a Macbook, not a Thinkpad with Macbook-inspired lack of ports and lack of ability to repair/replace components
            I doubt these are aimed at Apple customers. They're probably aimed at corporate and "pro-sumers" that don't really care about having 10 different legacy ports on their laptop, which is probably most people. What bugs me personally, and prevents me from considering any Thinkpad now, is the soldered RAM.

I think the reason for Lenovo starting to offer Linux distros up front is their corporate management probably sees the writing on the wall: Microsoft may eventually be prevented from doing business with any PRC corporation, meaning no more Windows. Canonical is South African. Fedora is backed by IBM/RedHat, but it's not directly sold by them and is downloadable by anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

They're probably aimed at corporate and "pro-sumers" that don't really care about having 10 different legacy ports on their laptop, which is probably most people.
              Ethernet != 10 different legacy ports, it's one single port that is perfectly modern

Comment

The move to offer Ubuntu is a logical one. Despite the hatred it attract from some Linux community members, it is still the most used Linux distribution by far. From Lenovo's point of view, it is a chance to recover their investment in start offering something besides Windows on their sales channels.

Comment

Is this actually stock Ubuntu (no changes compares to stock ISO)?

I'm going to guess no given Dell computers.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
                    Jeff Joshua Rollin This is OEM. There’s no room for experimental distributions or experimental desktops.
                    exactly, no room for debian reskins, which can't introduce pulseaudio without world-wide breakage

Comment

Working...
                    X