Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 11 Released, Now Available Via Open-Source Project

Phoronix: Android 11 Released, Now Available Via Open-Source Project

Google engineers today celebrating pushing the Android 11 sources to the Android Open-Source Project (AOSP) as part of the official Android 11 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let's see how long it takes to reach my Nokia 8.1. Though as far as features are concerned, I couldn't tell you what Android 10 brought to the table, much less 11. That's how boring these releases have become.
    But that's probably a good thing, after all these iterations, there's not much left to bolt on.

Comment

Android 11 brings crap. Sorry.

This is what I've been asking Google for for the past five years and they don't give a flying fuck:
      • A process manager (e.g. Task Manager in Windows) to see what's stressing your CPU/GPU/IO/Network. Android for several releases now has made it impossible to see real CPU use.
      • Sane battery stats application as the stock one is complete crap. GSam Battery Stats works miles better but still misses a lot of crucial info. BetterBatteryStats shows almost everything but is a nightmare to use.
      • An ability to remove applications from auto start and/or disabling intents which cause them to start automatically.
      • Full control of /sdcard to e.g. restore files and make full backups (adb backup/restore was removed in Android 10, so full backups without root are impossible now).
      • Software gamma/brightness/saturation control.
      I've got two dozen more pet peeves with Android but the company doesn't seem to care one bit.

Comment

Along those lines, how about adding some control over how much to charge the battery up to? I'm really tired of having LiPo pouch batteries bulging out because Android is too stupid to let me limit charge to 80% when I'm running 99% of the time tethered to a wall brick. Having everybody's phone always charge to 100% is really damaging to the environment when you consider all the prematurely broken batteries this creates.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          A process manager (e.g. Task Manager in Windows) to see what's stressing your CPU/GPU/IO/Network. Android for several releases now has made it impossible to see real CPU use.
          Why would anyone need this? New phones have beefier CPUs so they should be able to handle all sorts of loads.
          Sane battery stats application as the stock one is complete crap. GSam Battery Stats works miles better but still misses a lot of crucial info. BetterBatteryStats shows almost everything but is a nightmare to use.
          New phones have larger batteries. Why should one fix it on software level when you can invest in larger batteries?
          An ability to remove applications from auto start and/or disabling intents which cause them to start automatically..
          Maybe buy more RAM so that there's enough for all the apps?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Why would anyone need this? New phones have beefier CPUs so they should be able to handle all sorts of loads.

New phones have larger batteries. Why should one fix it on software level when you can invest in larger batteries?

Lol, so these phones will never get old?

Comment

Because you're a fucking Re Tardo that's why. Sometimes your phone is getting slow and hot for no fucking reasons and there's no way to know what's stressing it. And sorry, no amount of compute power can help solve it.

Larger batteries to solve crappy software? Also buying a new smartphone? Are you a fucking rich Re Tardo? Why would I buy a new smartphone to fix software issues?

Buy more RAM? Do you mean download more RAM? Never seen such an braindead idiot on Phoronix ever before.

You're actually funny with your idiocy.

Comment

Because this way we could find out what is draining the battery faster in the background.
                This happens on my phone with stock firmware, apparently caused by Security policy updates.
                If Android had a task manager, I would have found the culprit much faster.

Windows/Apple mentality? No thanks! :l

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
                  Along those lines, how about adding some control over how much to charge the battery up to? I'm really tired of having LiPo pouch batteries bulging out because Android is too stupid to let me limit charge to 80% when I'm running 99% of the time tethered to a wall brick. Having everybody's phone always charge to 100% is really damaging to the environment when you consider all the prematurely broken batteries this creates.
                  While that was a problem early on, these days most batteries have firmware that does the battery high/low limits automagically so you doing it on your own can potentially be worse than charging it to max and running it out. What it really needs is a software switch to allow the battery to start draining once it gets maxed out. There are a lot of things I can automate in Android, having it physically unplug the charger when it gets full isn't.

I have a Moto G8 Power, and while it lasts me 3 to 4 days on a single charge (no shit), it takes around two hours to charge it so I end up plugging it in before going to be bed and would like a way to have it stop the power flow even though my charger is plugged in. I'll live losing a 1/3 of a percent of a charge it'll use the rest of the night. My other solution for that is one of those wall plug timers like used for lights on a fish tank.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Because this way we could find out what is draining the battery faster in the background.
                    This happens on my phone with stock firmware, apparently caused by Security policy updates.
                    If Android had a task manager, I would have found the culprit much faster.
                    Might be true, but many users who run custom roms are perfectly fine with roms that drain the batteries, some Oneplus phones even drain the battery fast with stock roms. I've tried few xda and lineage roms and it seems quite often the case.

Comment

Working...
                    X