No announcement yet.

Many Linux Developers Are Ecstatic Over Fedora On Lenovo Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Lenovo + Fedora vs Dell XPS + Ubuntu! Review not only benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
      Michael Lenovo + Fedora vs Dell XPS + Ubuntu! Review not only benchmarks!
      Don't have any Lenovo Fedora system, Lenovo / RedHat hasn't offered any review sample, nor do I have the extra funds for such...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by yro84 View Post

well, thats something we can argue.. im brazilian and english is not even my secondary language.. but i can iterate with you in english or spanish (barely) or portuguese.. can you do half? otherwise, why botter in posting this crap just to insult me and not answer to my points? ohh i see, maybe you are one of these linux fanboys retards? maybe...
        No, I actually like your trolling style. Well, if English is not your native tongue, then you just keep being you. I'm sure the GNU/Linux-to-Windows converts will be flocking to your side.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
          I do not believe it. On f32 for two Lenovo models I check today:

# fwupdmgr refresh
          Updating lvfs
          Downloading… [***************************************]
          Successfully downloaded new metadata: 0 local devices supported

# fwupdmgr refresh
          Fetching metadata https://cdn.fwupd.org/downloads/firmware.xml.gz
          Fetching signature https://cdn.fwupd.org/downloads/firmware.xml.gz.asc
          You can check here: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=T495 - that will be model-specific BIOS, then there is generic Intel ME firmware and others.

EDIT:
          $ fwupdmgr refresh
          Updating lvfs
          Successfully downloaded new metadata: 6 local devices supported
          Last edited by Black_Fox; 02 September 2020, 04:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
            You can check here: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=T495 - that will be model-specific BIOS, then there is generic Intel ME firmware and others.

EDIT:
            No no my fried, what is working and available the way it should be is all that matter, what a "regular" user can do the "regular" way.
            E14 Gen 2 is relatively new (still no excuse if a company claims to be Linux-serious) but E495(and siblings) has been around for over a year if I remember correctly.

Comment

No no my fried, what is working and available the way it should be is all that matter, what a "regular" user can do the "regular" way.
              Regular user will update firmware by clicking buttons in GNOME Software on any supported hardware, what's the issue? You've said you don't believe some models are supported already, I showed multiple proofs, let's put a pin in it.

I'll take ongoing incremental improvements now over some big bang all-models-suddenly-supported far in the future, any day. Common feature of all of your laptops (E14 G2, E495, A495) is that they're AFAIK using AMD instead of Intel, and Lenovo recently hasn't been known for taking care of AMD folk before Intel. My guess they will release the firmware updates for AMD models too, just later. I'm waiting for a properly supported Lenovo AMD laptop just like you, I hope we're on the same side (it just seems my expectations are slightly lower).
              Last edited by Black_Fox; 02 September 2020, 06:18 AM. Reason: words

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
                Regular user will update firmware by clicking buttons in GNOME Software on any supported hardware, what's the issue? You've said you don't believe some models are supported already, I showed multiple proofs, let's put a pin in it.

I'll take ongoing incremental improvements now over some big bang all-models-suddenly-supported far in the future, any day. Common feature of all of your laptops (E14 G2, E495, A495) is that they're AFAIK using AMD instead of Intel, and Lenovo recently hasn't been known for taking care of AMD folk before Intel. My guess they will release the firmware updates for AMD models too, just later. I'm waiting for a properly supported Lenovo AMD laptop just like you, I hope we're on the same side (it just seems my expectations are slightly lower).
                "..multiple proofs,.."??? You showed a link to a website. Regulars users would use VLFS' own tool kit whose results I showed just above.
                And you guess... you guess... I say that the models I own (99% of Lenovo products) have been available for a long time, and so LVFS has!, so that news in middle of 2020 that Lenovo now has one laptop with "official" Linux support is just a publicity stunt rather than something serious.
                One can only wonder - why you mount such a defence of Lenovo, or any corporation for that matter (they are a few small companies who try much harder.
                Just learn the history of Dell, ask how long ago Dell announced, with similar fanfare their XPS with Linux "support" and how far and serious have Dell progressed since then, with regards to Linux. (they are slightly better than "novice" Lenovo, what does it tell you - to me it says it's another marketing swindle)
                Last edited by lejeczek; 03 September 2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

"..multiple proofs,.."??? You showed a link to a website. Regulars users would use VLFS' own tool kit whose results I showed just above.
                  Then take a look at that comment again. Seeing you quoted the entire thing including the EDIT, you must have missed the most important part.

However, seeing you won't read my comments in full or simply search the LVFS to see the significant numbers of supported A, L, P, T, X and Yoga models and will rather believe the "one laptop with official Linux support" lie anyway, I don't feel any need to continue our fruitless discussion.

Comment

Haha, thanks but no thanks

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      Linux preinstalled sounds amazing until you realize that there are some crazy unresolved issues with it: Fedora features new releases each nine months
                      i doubt you know anything of fedora, it was on 6 month schedule for ages
                      Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      and AFAIK there's no graphical way to seamlessly upgrade Fedora N to N+1 or N+2
                      gnome software shows distro upgrade notification with full gui support. why did i bother to read your clueless windows slave bullshit thus far again?

Comment

Working...
                      X