Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

True.

From my experience of repairing Computers for friends and family. The average joe needs much less then the Linux Enthusiasts might expect. Thats why a lot of average Joes only have phones/tablets nowadays btw.

But average Joe 40+ y mostly needs Internet Explorer, maybe Outlook and Word (Excel) + Printer/Scanner Support. The average Linux can easily substitute the first ones and Printer. Scanning is still not very average Joe friendly. And a lot of email stuff can be managed by Webinterfaces.

Average Joe <=40y needs the already mentioned stuff plus Steam/Uplay/Origin/Epic. Steam runs very very nice under Linux and with Lutris you can easily (Linux Enthusiasts POV) make Ubisofts AAA runable - I dont have Origin or Epic so I dont know how they are usable in wine.

This is just private/home usage. If your company is "supported/cucked" by Microsoft you will mostly not have the possibility to choose any Linux device unless you are Developer and then you are not the average Joe.

So the real average Joe should be satisfied with Linux Status Quo. There are some quirks but not in the technical depth more surface userfriendlienes.
    When we are touching topics like secure boot or virtualisation etc. we are already been way out of the average Joe territory.
    Most average Joes dont even know what virtualisation means...If they know they might need it and therefore they are not average Joe by definition again.

A lot of average Joes are simply scared of switiching because they already have difficulties to use their win equipment. They don't know any other OS (Computers) and switching might mean they have to learn it all over again - thats what they fear.
    Well said. It's my experience that most Average Joes can't tell the difference between KDE Plasma and Windows 7 to 10. Most people ask how to get the same custom theme I'm using for their system. That "custom theme" is Breeze Dark . That anecdote has always made me wonder why all these Linux distributions push GNOME so hard.

The only issue I have with putting Average Joes on Linux these days are worries that Streaming Providers will yank Linux support via Widevine.

I know that Origin works just fine. I've played plenty of Battlefield 4 from Linux. Not sure about Epic either. It was a garbled mess the last time I tried it on Linux and I'm old enough that I'd rather dual boot and play my game versus the alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      how something like that is even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        The only issue I have with putting Average Joes on Linux these days are worries that Streaming Providers will yank Linux support via Widevine.
        ..that is really a problem. Besides they don't even give you the full HD quality sometimes. I'm almost already about to hoist the pirate flag. But this is another can of worms.

Comment

this 'merica only?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
            I recently got something like 4 updates for my work T495 via LVFS, the firmware is there, just not for that many models (yet).
            I do not believe it. On f32 for two Lenovo models I check today:

# fwupdmgr refresh
            Updating lvfs
            Downloading… [***************************************]
            Successfully downloaded new metadata: 0 local devices supported

# fwupdmgr refresh
            Fetching metadata https://cdn.fwupd.org/downloads/firmware.xml.gz
            Fetching signature https://cdn.fwupd.org/downloads/firmware.xml.gz.asc

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

..that is really a problem. Besides they don't even give you the full HD quality sometimes. I'm almost already about to hoist the pirate flag. But this is another can of worms.
              I know that CBS Linux All Access users lost, well, All Access for a few weeks earlier this year and that HBO Max Linux users don't have access at all, both due to how Widevine is configured at the server level. About the only way to get around that is to subscribe to those services through Amazon Prime or Hulu since those two work perfectly fine with Linux.

I'm having to do HBO through Hulu right now because of HBO's messed up distribution model with only certain apps and subscriptions being available on certain devices. For the couple of years I used Linux and HBO Now, my Mom used Roku and HBO Now, and my Dad used his PS4 with HBO Now. When HBO Max came out they Widevine-ed Linux users, removed HBO Now from the PS4 and force upgraded PS4 users to their new HBO Max app, and they never released an HBO Max app for Roku users. Talk about some dick moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Imagine unironically hateing systemd
                I don't hate it - I have it installed on my system. I simply decide not to use it and to boot using sysvinit instead each time I turn on the computer. systemd is here on my system right now in all its bloated glory - it's just never been used.

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
                  this 'merica only?
                  Initial websales are US and Canada only but the model is worldwide. You should be able to call (I know, like a cave-person) and order, although I don't have details on that yet. Worldwide web roll-out is supposed to happen, but apparently that's done country-by-country and there's a lot of process at Lenovo over how it works, so it may take some time.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    Ah,too bad it's only the Intel version of that laptop. I'd think about it if they'd put in a Ryzen. /me needs more cores for compiling
                    Lenovo would like to hear from you. There's a thread on their forum about AMD: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Fedora/...MD/m-p/5032614 and adding to that will help. It's probably also useful to write/tweet/call and ask. All of these decisions come from customer demand.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Your Windows-loving screeds would probably recruit more GNU/Linux users over to your favorite OS if you would learn to spell, capitalize, and use punctuation correctly.
                      well, thats something we can argue.. im brazilian and english is not even my secondary language.. but i can iterate with you in english or spanish (barely) or portuguese.. can you do half? otherwise, why botter in posting this crap just to insult me and not answer to my points? ohh i see, maybe you are one of these linux fanboys retards? maybe...

Comment

Working...
                      X