Many Linux Developers Are Ecstatic Over Fedora On Lenovo Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    [*]These laptops with come with secure UEFI boot mode on which means the user will not be able to use applications like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation unless the user disables secure boot which is not really good.
    You knew Fedora supports Secure Boot out of box since its 18th release. A virtualized Fedora Silverblue Rawhide in GNOME Boxes runs fine with Secure Boot and Virtualization enabled by default on both 2018 HP Envy X360 Convertible powered by AMD Ryzen 2500u and a desktop powered Ryzen 5 3600 and Radeon RX 560 4B running on ASUS PRIME X570-PRO.

Comment

Originally posted by yro84 View Post
      well, i see that people are still on these crap fights about "linux is better"... and continue to ignore that majority of use case we talk is users and/or personal/local business.. for that matters linux is way too problematic as of the updates goes, the bootloader problems, the lack of good choices about microsoft office/adobe/corel/etc... but in my opinion, the biggest problem is the videocard drivers that works better on windows on nvidia and on amd.. i pay my hard money on my machine and i want it work to with with its full potential.. on linux, majority of times thats not the case.. so, why botter using linux anyway if windows 10 is "free" (hwid or kms) and i can have all of its fruits just clicking "next next next ok"? <<< thats what ive always hear people say.. the history repeats for about 20 years..
      Your Windows-loving screeds would probably recruit more GNU/Linux users over to your favorite OS if you would learn to spell, capitalize, and use punctuation correctly.

Comment

Ah,too bad it's only the Intel version of that laptop. I'd think about it if they'd put in a Ryzen. /me needs more cores for compiling

Comment

Linux preinstalled sounds amazing until you realize that there are some crazy unresolved issues with it:
          • These laptops with come with secure UEFI boot mode on which means the user will not be able to use applications like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation unless the user disables secure boot which is not really good.
          • In other OSes GUI sees less drastic changes less often and in Linux, specially in Gnome, it may make people feel uncomfortable.
          • I use VirtualBox on my secure boot-enabled Fedora Thinkpad almost daily, it surely is possible.
          • Specically GNOME - 2.0 was released in 2002, since then there was a single major visual change when GNOME 3.0 released in 2011. In a very similar time period window Windows introduced significant GUI changes with XP in 2001, then Vista/7, then another radical change with 10. How are Linux GUIs making drastic changes more often?
          Last edited by Black_Fox; 01 September 2020, 03:09 AM. Reason: fix formatting

Comment

what's up with the bullshit color of your text birdie? afraid that writing in black would make your post too readable?
            edora features new releases each nine months and AFAIK there's no graphical way to seamlessly upgrade Fedora N to N+1 or N+2. Running dnf in console is not what people expect from an OS in 2020.
            You can upgrade with GUI, wtf are you talking about https://www.putorius.net/upgrade-fed...fedora-32.html

GRUB/kernel/Xorg/GDM/Gnome updates can make system unbootable/unusable (it's relatively rare but it happens) - there's no way to boot into some sort of safe environment and fix/revert the recent changes to fix your system.
            That's what they will use btrfs for. OpenSUSE does it since years ago

These laptops with come with secure UEFI boot mode on which means the user will not be able to use applications like VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation unless the user disables secure boot which is not really good.
            People messing with virtualization will endure having to reboot into firmware settings to disable that. I mean virtualization is not a feature that most people even understand.

In other OSes GUI sees less drastic changes less often and in Linux, specially in Gnome, it may make people feel uncomfortable.
            What are such OSes? Both Windows and MacOS change stuff each release.

And the biggest of the issues is that there's a lot more software and games for Windows than for Linux.
            Thanks captain obvious, but you gotta start from somehwere to get the ball rolling. This is not aimed at general public but at elites of superior beings for now.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 01 September 2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

The first one gotta be Windows 10 and the bloated crap is probably that proprietary systemD/Linux spyware by those Red Hat dickheads, right? The choice is obvious.

/s, naturally
              how is systemd proprietary and spyware? Also it's not bloated crap

Comment

Originally posted by yro84 View Post
                well, i see that people are still on these crap fights about "linux is better"...
                none is fighting for that currently. It's just birdie posting bullshit about Linux and people bashing him.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I could go point by point but even the first one here is factually incorrect.

Fedora lifecycle is typically more like 13 months, given that each release is supported for N+1 + 1 month and every release is usually about six months apart and GNOME Software has supported a graphical method of upgrading for a very long time and prompts you pro-actively when a new release is available. It all automatic. If you are a current user of Fedora and you have all this experience with Linux, I am curious why you missed this.
                  I didn't know that. Thank you. But then last time I used Gnome was in 2000.

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
                  • I use VirtualBox on my secure boot-enabled Fedora Thinkpad almost daily, it surely is possible.
                  • Specically GNOME - 2.0 was released in 2002, since then there was a single major visual change when GNOME 3.0 released in 2011. In a very similar time period window Windows introduced significant GUI changes with XP in 2001, then Vista/7, then another radical change with 10. How are Linux GUIs making drastic changes more often?
                  Adding your own secure key to EUFI (and signing modules) is certainly an option but it's magic voodoo for most average people.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    none is fighting for that currently. It's just birdie posting bullshit about Linux and people bashing him.
                    This is just obvious thing. On Linux things just works out of the box most of the time. On Windows it's sometimes a nightmare to make them working properly.

Comment

I didn't know that. Thank you. But then last time I used Gnome was in 2000.
                      So, he didn't even use Wayland (Wayland in KDE doesn't count from obvious reason) and Gnome 3, but it didn't stop him from trashing many Wayland and Gnome related threads. Pathetic.
                      Last edited by Volta; 01 September 2020, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X