No announcement yet.

Lenovo Starts Offering Up Fedora Linux Pre-Loaded Systems From Their Web Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo Starts Offering Up Fedora Linux Pre-Loaded Systems From Their Web Store

Phoronix: Lenovo Starts Offering Up Fedora Linux Pre-Loaded Systems From Their Web Store

As a follow up from the news earlier this summer of Lenovo planning to certify their ThinkPad and ThinkStation lines for Linux from Ubuntu and Red Hat while also offering distribution choices like Fedora, that work is proceeding with Lenovo now offering up their first system from their web store that comes pre-loaded with Fedora...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! As far as I can tell this a worse deal then the Dell XPS 13 though. Still I know many people who just want a Lenovo - and now they have that option! Looking forward to what they launch next.

Leaving out specs that appear to be the same (both have 256 GB NVMe and 8 GB ram).

Dell "New XPS 13 Developer Edition" cost $1,079.00
    10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor
    13.4" FHD+ (1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge Non-Touch Anti-Glare 500-Nit Display

ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 8 with Linux $1,287.00
    10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10210U Processor (1.60 GHz, up to 4.20 GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 6 MB Cache)
    14.0" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, anti-glare, low power, 400 nits

The processors are VERY similar - https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...=195436,196603

Comment

I asked in the OpenBSD advocacy mailing list if they could pursue something like this with Lenovo to get that great *BSD system preloaded on systems and got a lot of flame back over it. Would love to see OpenBSD and FreeBSD preloaded options on well supported hardware like Thinkpads.

Comment

I just hope it's not Gnome/Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
          Awesome! As far as I can tell this a worse deal then the Dell XPS 13 though. Still I know many people who just want a Lenovo - and now they have that option! Looking forward to what they launch next.
          Tiger Lake based laptops will be released in just a few days. Buying anything less (I mean Ice Lake/Comet Lake) is kinda meaningless at this point unless you've got a very very good deal.
          Last edited by birdie; 29 August 2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I feel for the Lenovo tech support guys who are going to have to walk their customers through systemd, gnome, and wayland problems over the phone. And pitching their customers on using flatpaks should be fun. "Yes ma'am, it's just like a Windows program. Except it's a lot bigger, slower to download and load, and it will have some broken essential functions like printing. You're welcome."

Comment

Are they cheaper to do the Windows tax removed? I actually don't mind if they aren't, if the money goes to RedHat for example.

Comment

About time the major computer manufacturers got with the program here. I've been using my Raspberry Pi 4 as my "laptop"/desktop computer for a while now and it's been really really nice having hardware that is genuinely built with Linux supported as a first class citizen.

Comment

This is fantastic news. As a long time Fedora user this obviously pleases me. Now if we could only get Lenovo to do something about slave labor.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    I just hope it's not Gnome/Wayland by default.
                    Gnome & Wayland gets better almost daily and even in a bleeding edge distro like Fedora it is very usable. However Fedora is very much a bleeding edge development platform so not for everybody.

Comment

Working...
                    X